"NO BUS" error when installing aftermarket headuni

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshy0077

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I don't know how many people are familiar with these types of installs, but I could really use some help because I'm quite perplexed by the situation.

Here's the deal, I tried installing a JVC AR5500 headunit into my 02 liberty today. I purchased an aftermarket (scosche) harness so that installation would be a breeze (just plug into the factory), or so I thought. I got all the wires connected that JVC had on their wiring diagram, except the aftermarket harness had 1 wire that was left alone, a PCI BUS wire (corresponding to #14 on the Jeep wiring diagram)...which is also found on the factory harness. Assuming there were no real problems I plugged in the unit, turned it on...and it worked great! However, the liberty had the words NO BUS on the odometer, and the check engine light, battery, and oil lights were lit up, as well as none of the gauges worked. I plugged the factory unit back in and everything was back to normal except the check engine light stayed on....I tried emailing the place where I bought it from and this was their reply:

"I just got both of your email replies. Yes, unfortunately I've never come across this in all my years with the Liberty. I just got off the phone with Scosche as well. None of their techs or even their engineers have come across or heard of this problem either. I'm sorry to say that I'm stumped.

Our tech contact suggested seeing if maybe the vehicle will "learn" the radio is not connected and reset the message and allow the gauges to function properly. There's also the chance the dealer will have to hook the car up to their computer and reset this as well. I'm sorry I can't provide a definite solution for you."

I'm not quite sure how to go about resetting the error....do I need to take it to my Jeep dealership, or is there someway I can do this myself? Any help is greatly appreciated!

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only no bus problem I have ever had was when the computer took a crap on my 2001 Dakota.

Gordo

Reaction score
I just installed my Alpine deck last night with the exact same Scosche harness kit from Wal Mart. There were a few wires that I left disconnected (I can figure out which ones they are later and post my findings) that I knew that I would not need.

After getting everything in, I have no error messages of any type. Seems weird to me. If anybody is interested in the wires that I left 'open' let me know and I can take a picture or whatever else might be helpful.

Good luck to you.

pep3

Reaction score
Left over wires

Gordo,
I'd be interested to know which wires you had left over. I'm going to be installing a Pioneer HU and IPOD controller interface into my daughters 2005 Liberty and I'm supposedly getting the same wiring harness. Might be helpful to know ahead of time.

I took out the factory radio last night to check the factory wires. None of the colors match up with the aftermarket harness, I guess that's why you rely on the harness connection. It looked like there were 2 grounds and 2 power wires. Do you know which one is the "always on power" and which is the "only on with ignition power"? Thanks for your help.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope this helps. When I installed my HU, i only connected the speaker wires, ground and power (pins 1 & 2).
You must be registered for see images attach

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say unplug the new radio and see if the problem still happens with nothing connected at all. If it only happens when you plug the radio in, check the wiring harness to make sure it's set up correctly.

Unless I'm mistaken, don't wiring harnesses from aftermarket decks come in two pieces? One piece matches up to the vehicle, the other matches up to the deck, and it's up to you to connect up the ones you want. My harness came with a color-coded wiring diagram telling you the signal names on all the wires so you can match them up to the signals on the deck (not necessarily the same colors, just the same signal names). start with just power + speakers and work your way up. Sounds like you are connecting things that shouldn't be connected (never heard of an aftermarket deck needing that BUS line)