Nice Bumper for the KJ, any idea where to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apex

Reaction score
Thanks for the help I got while brainstorming about a set of bull bars for my KJ, but, I've found something I liked better.

www.TrailReady.com has a nice bumper for the KJs that I just like the looks of. I don't know how it compares to the ARB Bumper though.

Here's the PDF Catalog for their site as well.
TrailReady PDF Catalog

I'm sure most everyone knows some about it, but I can't say I do. Anyone know where it's available for sale?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a great thread on lost about the trail ready bumpers but I cannot find it.

If I ever got a bumper, the trail ready bumper would be the only bumper I would get(given they made it). I really like the way it looks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
if they had the turn signals issue worked out it would look better, they look like an add on, not part of the bumper like an ARB.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TR bumber is made for the '02-'04 KJ bodystyle only,major mods need to be made to make it work with a '05+ KJ.Not to mention they don'y fit very well.

Until RL finally gets time to get the front bumbers done I recommend the ARB,very rugged and next impossible to steal the winch if you install one.

IMHO this is the mother of all KJ aftermarket bumpers:click
You must be registered for see images

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Nice looking bumber but the front shackle mounts are only welded to the bumber face,very bad news if you need to really use them.

805gregg

Reaction score
Check out TJM an Austrailian company, they are comming out with an aluminum front bumper soon. Bound to be much lighter than steel.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BS! It al depends on how thick the aluminium is. Boeing 747 airplanes's are made of aluminium. So are Audi A8's and BMW's.

Titanium is like 10x stronger than steel and 5x as light so...What's up Troy, why are you so negative lately?
For looks that aluminum bumber is okay but if you plan on actually using it is a different story.If that bumber was made out of aircraft grade alloy is would be 3-4 times of the cost of any steel bumber and have to weigh about just as much.Slam hard onto a rock and tell me what's going to survive,3/16" steel plate of 3/16" aluminum?Aluminum is much more flexable then steel,the reason it's used in aircraft.then you got all the stress from a pull with a strap and the forces encountered with a winch pull(if mounted to a aluminum bumber) that a lighter weight aluminum won't handle compared to steel.

Now if a bumber ws made out of titanium,that would be a different story,and about $20,000 also.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out TJM an Austrailian company, they are comming out with an aluminum front bumper soon. Bound to be much lighter than steel.

TJM and ARB twist with some decent contact. not to say they are poor bumpers, but just be aware.

they are lighter, so saving you MPG, and also spring sag if you go with steel

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ARB twist with some decent contact. not to say they are poor bumpers, but just be aware.
I slammed down on a big boulder with my ARB(lower left wing area) and it didn't anything but scratch the powdercoat,sideswiped at 12" diameter tree also and nothing happened.My buddy with the RL prototype front bumber ran full force into a rock wall(about 5-8mph,doing R&D) and only scratched the paint and has sat with the full weight of the KJ on just the F/R bumbers(both prototypes) and no bending and it's only made from 1/8" steel.The lighter aluminum bumber wouldn't have held up as good in either case.

Apex

Reaction score
Well, it seems a lot of people have inputted some info on this topic. Good stuff. To save some money for this bumper(if I'm able to find it, down the road), I think I'll go with a set of bull bars first. I can mount extra lights on that, and transfer them to the bumper, as well as buy a winch, when I actually purchase said bumper. Now that I think about it, it might be good to have bull bars and a new bumper, in case I want to switch back and forth.

If only I had a million dollars.:(

Apex

Reaction score
True.....I've taken it into account. I guess, just, cross my fingers and hope I don't spin wheels?

**Or, how about not doing any heavy offroading until I get a bumper?:D

Apex

Reaction score
Bottom line, Socks, is I plan on not getting stuck, or putting myself in a position that I'm more than likely to get stuck. Anyway, thanks everyone for their input.

-Apex

Apex

Reaction score
*Excuse the double post,

Tony, a Frankenlift is on my to-buy list. Thanks for the suggestion though, man. I'll get a bumper whenever. Not too high on my list, due to the high price of them. I'm only 18 you know, not made of greenies. :D

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another thing to mention, most four wheeling clubs require tow points of some sort for trail rides. (if that's what you plan on doing with your Jeep)

not planning on getting stuck is like not planning to get into an auto accident. the only way to prevent it is to stay at home.

personally go with the lift, skids etc first. plus with the lift and such you'll have less likelyhood of hitting your bumpers. If it's the lights you want, you could always mount lights directly to the bumper.

just some food for thought.

mike

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*Excuse the double post,

Tony, a Frankenlift is on my to-buy list. Thanks for the suggestion though, man. I'll get a bumper whenever. Not too high on my list, due to the high price of them. I'm only 18 you know, not made of greenies. :D

Man, you are OLDrollinglaugh.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.