NHTSA investigating 2002, 2003 Liberty airbags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can have my airbag. Lol. Hate those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Not only is there an investigation into unnecessary deployment...they should understand the way the air bag is designed is bad news!
You better take a look at Insurance institute's video. "see watch crash test video on link below" (notice the air bag forces head off to left) and out side compartment.
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=146&seriesid=362
Problem: Forces on the head when the dummy moved into the airbag were moderately high in the second test, indicating the possibility of head injuries.
It also looks like you still can hit the wheel with this poorly designed air bag.
However without the air bag it could be much worse....
Also our head restraints are marginal.
The newer KK's are better from both aspects.
The KJ still remains a fairly safe vehicle from side intrusion and frontal protection.
It would have been better with side curtain air-bags. I think the KK's have them too.

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
OH My GOSH!! What a waste of time and money. They need to investigate that Kardashinain Wh.. woman or something else useful.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not only is there an investigation into unnecessary deployment...they should understand the way the air bag is designed is bad news!
You better take a look at Insurance institute's video. "see watch crash test video on link below" (notice the air bag forces head off to left) and out side compartment.
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=146&seriesid=362
Problem: Forces on the head when the dummy moved into the airbag were moderately high in the second test, indicating the possibility of head injuries.
It also looks like you still can hit the wheel with this poorly designed air bag.
However without the air bag it could be much worse....
Also our head restraints are marginal.
The newer KK's are better from both aspects.
The KJ still remains a fairly safe vehicle from side intrusion and frontal protection.
It would have been better with side curtain air-bags. I think the KK's have them too.
Airbags can cause more issues then solve in crash and they know it and why newest generation of SRS systems must have sensors so they can turn on/off airbags if seatbelts are not latched or a smaller person is in the seat.

The only good thing a airbag is good for is launching garbage cans 100' in the air(cops do not like this but it's funny as all hell).