Next Project.... Rear Defroster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fix Fog lights and blinker wiring.... check
Fender flare repaired...... check

Now I wanna fix the rear defroster. My plug came unsoldered or whatever it is they use to attach from the glass. Anyone ever repaired one of these? Best way? Dad asked if we could use superglue but I don't think that will work because it cant conduct electricity. I saw some kits online but don't know if they work or not. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I phoned around to a few glass shops locally and finally found a shop that does this repair for $60 professionally, with a 1yr warranty.
They told me that the DIY kits may work but if they dont hold, you wont be able to get it bond properly again or repaired by the copper/resin mixtures the pro's use.
51355[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• KJJeepDefoggerRepair.jpg
    KJJeepDefoggerRepair.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 0

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously a problem with whatever Jeep used for these tabs, as this seems to be somewhat common. When we bought our Liberty the dealer had already tried twice(that I know of)to repair the tabs and after we took possession they fell off again so I told them to get me this:Frost Fighter 2000 Defroster Tab Bonding Kits
and I would attempt to fix it myself. This kit seems to have good/great reviews. My plan is to take the rear window off and repair it in a controlled environment(inside the house) I have a heat gun which I will also use to help cure the compound. Heat and time is said to be the main ingredients for a good bond. There are other kits available at auto stores but again the frost fighter kit is the one I wanted.

Bert

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the main problem is the way the coiled wires hangs in the back sideways a bit.
It is so easy, especially at night when removing stuff out of the cargo area to catch something, or even your hand on the wire, tearing it off the glass.
Now I am real aware of those darn wires, and watch them, so I don't rip it off again.
Should paint the wires white!

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never used this kit, I've always used 3M stuff from work but did it 3 time on other vehicle and it's fairly easy if you follow the step and you do it good. Make sure you sand the surface dead flat and you might want to use contact cleaner ( no silicone cleaner ) and let it cure for the entire advised time. I've been told that some people cover it with insulating expoxy after it's cured to get it stronger but I don't agree with that since you will have harder time to repair it if it come lose again.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I contacted places like safelite locally they didn't do that type of repair. Anyone know of a chain that does? Im not even sure what to search in the phonebook for the repair like the one listed about. Guess I could try the frostfighter kit worst case....

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will have to guess where to call, glass shop, garage and body shop. Over here I never saw a garage doing it, I don't know about KY.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kit shoould be fine. loctite and permatex both have kits.
It's just sand, clean the terminals then apply conductive epoxy.
Reviews on amazon seem to be in the middle with loctite a little ahead but I think you're more competent than an average Joe with fixing stuff, maybe that was the issue the ratings were low.
:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online