Next Liberty Diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've recently discovered that Cummins is developing a 2.8 litre in-line 4 cylinder, alongside the 4.2 V-6 and 5.6 V-8. Here's hoping that this little buggar will be offered in the 2010 (2009?) Liberty (and Nitro?). I'd sure rather have a Cummins under the hood than an updated version of the VM Motori 2.8 (or anything else, for that matter).

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the one cummins is producing with a chinese co (2.8) is slated to go in the wrangler and hopefully the liberty

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the one cummins is producing with a chinese co (2.8) is slated to go in the wrangler and hopefully the liberty

As I understand it, the joint venture with the Chinese includes a 3.8 and one type of 2.8. An US-compliant version of the 2.8, though, is to be built at the Columbus Engine Plant.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be awesome in the Wrangler Unlimited. What is the deal with the 5.6 that you mentioned? I'm trusting they are not going to be getting rid of the new 6.7 anytime soon.

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be awesome in the Wrangler Unlimited. What is the deal with the 5.6 that you mentioned? I'm trusting they are not going to be getting rid of the new 6.7 anytime soon.

No, the new 5.6 V8 is intended for the Ram 1500. The Ram 2500 and 3500 will still have the big in-line 6.

From what I've been able to piece together, I'm thinking that the 4.2 V6 will go in the Durango, the Dakota, the Grand Cherokee, and the Wrangler. The 2.8 I4 will go in the Liberty and the Nitro. (As I say, this involves some speculation on my part.)

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quit teasing me guys! Tell me when there is actually one i can buy :D