newbie tire pressure question: overinflating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would like to do as well as I can as far as MPG goes, and I'm reading a lot about putting tire pressure at 45psi and 50psi, etc.; my '02 Limited has 255/70/16 Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts on it, and at least on the side of the tire it says the max load is 35psi.

So are these people putting in 45 to 50psi in their tires to improve mileage really overinflating (risking blowouts or whatever), or are their tires simply able to take more air? Or are the ratings on the tire itself overly conservative?

Thanks.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
u just kinda have to play w/ it. i found about 38 or so works good, w/ the old tires anyway, i havnt done so yet w/ the destinations. u cant put too much, cuz you'll cause an odd tire wear, just like if u underinflate.

45-50 i think is too much, most of us maybe just add 3-4 psi more than stock .....around 38-40..maybe...

45-50 is WAY too much.

i dont think u should put more...tho, since ur tire's are not rated to go higher than 35...

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
please don't

Please don't put that much air in a "P" metric tire rated for 35lbs max. Driving in these hot summer temps this year can cause up to an 8 lb increase from your morning cold tire pressure check.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I woudln't go that high either. I usually keep in 38 when hot, when 34 is recommended.

Latest posts

Members online