(newbie) 2.8 CRD questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gary182

Reaction score
Hello to everyone :) , i am from Swansea, SOUTH WALES, UNITED KINGDOM. I am currently in the process of looking for a 2004 2.8 CRD CHEROKEE Extreme sport auto. Are there any issues i should be aware of with this vechicle/engine. I am asking this because the older type 2.5 VM diesel unit fitted in the XJ was prone to head gasket failure. I have had a search around but have failed to find any info on the VM 2.8 crd.

Thanks for your time
Gary:)

dnm45227

Reaction score
been a couple of recalls for egr valve and trans issues, aside from the lower ball joints shared by all kj's. other than that i don't think there have been any other recurring problems.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too many CRD's on this site unfortunately and perhaps no 2.5's. The EGR and transmission issues are in North America since you will likely be blessed with a manual ****** and different emissions standards.

You might have more luck with this question in the CRD section at www.lostkjs.com.
More non North American CRD users there I think.

gary182

Reaction score
Not too many CRD's on this site unfortunately and perhaps no 2.5's. The EGR and transmission issues are in North America since you will likely be blessed with a manual ****** and different emissions standards.

You might have more luck with this question in the CRD section at www.lostkjs.com.
More non North American CRD users there I think.

British 2.8crd 's are mostly auto boxes. Was the 2.5 vm diesel XJ sold on the american market??.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mate

go to www.ausjeepoffroad.com to the KJ section

we have had the 2.5 and 2.8 Crd's since 2002 heaps of info for you there, have not heard any engine probs with the crd's in aus , just the usual recalls and stuff the 2.8 in the 04 is pretty bullet proof

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive a 2.5 CRD (in the UK) and haven't had any problems with it. It's pretty much the same as the 2.8 CRD. The stuff about the EGR doesn't apply to the UK vehicle.

Ian

Ern

Reaction score
Hello Swansea. My 2005 2.8 CRD Auto has done 25K with lots of towing around Europe. Recalls done to Ball joints, torque converter. Repetative failure of mirror motor solved with later mirror. I am delighted with it so far!