Newb from Iowa in Oregon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDKewer

Reaction score
My name's Jeff. I have a 2002 Libby that I've had for 17 years. Well maintained, does great offroad,190k miles, never had any major problems with it.

That being said, I had to tear apart the drivers side front end for a CV axle replacement, and I'm at a loss on how to get the axle out. I've looked all over YouTube at vids on how to do it, but I've never seen anything resembling mine. Is there a specific order to remove parts in? I have the caliper and rotor off, but I have no idea what to do next. Any help would be extremely appreciated

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done the drivers side, but I think the doing procedure would still apply. It's how I got myself all sorts of room to work when I replaced the passenger side. Once you've got the brake caliper removed and out of the way disconnect the abs wire on the upper end (mine '05 is inside the engine bay behind and below the battery). Free up abs wire, until it's only connected to hub and knuckle. Remove axle nut (I use a screw driver through brake caliper bracket into disc vent to keep hub from turning). Tap and of axle with a small sledge to loosen axle from hub. Now pull both upper and lower ball joints and set entire knuckle and hub aside as one piece. You should at this point have nothing but the axle hanging out of the diff there in front of you. A pry bar between that can shape behind CV and diff should pop it free. You don't have to remove entire knuckle, but I found it easiest to do so. If any of this doesn't make sense just ask, I'm a little tired at the moment.

JDKewer

Reaction score
Yeah, I get to work all day tomorrow so I can attempt more axle replacement with little remaining daylight. I was hoping not to remove the whole knuckle, because I'm doing this in my driveway, but if it makes it easier, so be it

JDKewer

Reaction score
Well, I gave it a great effort. Even found a step by step(with pics) in here, but unfortunately, everything is so seized up, I couldn't do it. I'm also disabled, so that had a hand in it too. Now I get to fork over $800 for someone else to do it

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where in Oregon are you? I'm close to the border in Idaho, I'd be willing to help you if you're close enough.

JDKewer

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm in Salem. That'd be a pretty good day trip

Latest posts

Members online