New to the site

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dieselover

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m new to the site and I was looking for thread I posted but can’t find it. I retired from Chrysler engineering and I worked in the emissions and autonomy certification development lab and before I retired we had tested these KJ come in real diesel vehicles and I know we had some issues with them back then but that’s been so long ago and I don’t remember what the issues were but I am looking to purchase a CRV but I am looking for a limited with heated seats and I don’t remember how many years this was built I want to say only 2005 and 2006 but I’m not sure. Any information would be greatly appreciated on what to look for with the void etc. even what years to avoid. I’m thinking from my memory serves me right that 2005 was the year to avoid but I’m not totally positive and I’ve looked at several of these online that are for sale but their prices are all over the map so to speak and I don’t know really what a good price is for a limited CRD. Thanks in advance for any insight.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

My 06 has the heated seats, though mine runs on gasoline.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
2005-6 Are the only years offered in the US. I'm not sure of the differences between the years except that the '06 model has more ****-**** electronics and the wiring behind the fuel filter rubs causing problems.

Prices vary a lot based on whether the timing belt needs to be replaced or not; and if the engine is blown or not. Any dealer is going to want thousands more. If you can find one with all the common engine survival mods and upgrades you'll be ahead of the game; well worth a few dollars more. Lifts, good or bad, will add to the price. Mine isn't lifted but OME sounds like the only good way to go.

Lots to

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Edit doesn't want to work for me today.

****-**** = *****-*****

Lots to do to keep the engine together.

Silicone air hoses
Provent air/oil seperator
Bosch (or Etechno) metal 5v glowplugs
new rockers
ARP studs
FCV butterfly removal
GDE engine tune (no longer available)

Sorry to say but the EGR system works best in a box under the bench.

Dieselover

Reaction score
2005-6 Are the only years offered in the US. I'm not sure of the differences between the years except that the '06 model has more ****-**** electronics and the wiring behind the fuel filter rubs causing problems.

Prices vary a lot based on whether the timing belt needs to be replaced or not; and if the engine is blown or not. Any dealer is going to want thousands more. If you can find one with all the common engine survival mods and upgrades you'll be ahead of the game; well worth a few dollars more. Lifts, good or bad, will add to the price. Mine isn't lifted but OME sounds like the only good way to go.

Lots to
Thanks for the info. When I checked Kelley blue book, I’m getting lower prices than what these dealers want for them so I don’t really know what the going price is for it but there was one that I found that was right here close to where I work and they were asking $6000 for it and it was a sport and I thought I would try to swing by there after work and I did but I couldn’t find it and I’m thinking that they probably drove it home because we’re expecting a good amount of snow. Now they have a Carfax report and the Carfax showed it at suggested retail of I believe $6500 but they’re asking $6000 which I guess made a good deal and I believe it had around 150,000 miles on it. When does the timing belt need to get changed? At 100,000 miles? I contacted another one through CarGurus and so far I have not heard back from them but their price was I think a little bit too high and they wanted $7200 for it but it was a limited and it had what I wanted on it and I can live with the collar but like I said I haven’t heard anything from them and according to CarGurus that price was a little bit too high. I tried to look for that lost Jeeps for him and for some reason I wasn’t able to get into it and there was somebody else that was a new member that was having problems too so I don’t know if that even exist anymore. Is there any place that has information on these? And by the way yes, I found out that it was only made an 05 and 06 and the reason being was that went 06 came around that’s when they started imposing emissions and that’s when they decided not to continue building it and it wasn’t available I believe in California and New York which were two of the most heavily populated areas. I know that we had a couple of them at work and I don’t remember if we were actually testing them or trying to get something to fill on it because of a problem but it’s been so many years I just don’t remember. But I did find out what is that even though it was made in 05 and 06, Chrysler sold every single one of them! And how many they built, I don’t have a clue. Thanks again!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Timing belts are good for 100,000 miles or 6 years once installed. US diesel fuel at the time was filthy stuff compared to Euro diesel so most US CRDs ended up back at the dealers to get the EGR system cleaned out. Current US diesel fuel is better than it was but still worse than Euro standards.

LOSTJEEPS is still active but a little difficult to get signed on with. I'm not sure why. It's the motherlode of information on the 2.8 CRD so keep trying. CRDs come up for sale there pretty often as members move on to other vehicles. $6000. Is about as high as a well maintained CRD with all the mods will go for.

The timing belt change process is odd and requires some special tools; three pins to position (but not hold) the cams and crank and a gadget to hold the cam gears while tightening. The cheap version is overpriced fiddly junk and the proper Miller tool is spendy and hard to find. Most dealers won't have anyone qualified to do the job and you might have trouble finding someone anywhere willing to work on it. "Geordie" on LOSTJEEPS is a travelling mechanic who specializes on them.

Dieselover

Reaction score
Timing belts are good for 100,000 miles or 6 years once installed. US diesel fuel at the time was filthy stuff compared to Euro diesel so most US CRDs ended up back at the dealers to get the EGR system cleaned out. Current US diesel fuel is better than it was but still worse than Euro standards.

LOSTJEEPS is still active but a little difficult to get signed on with. I'm not sure why. It's the motherlode of information on the 2.8 CRD so keep trying. CRDs come up for sale there pretty often as members move on to other vehicles. $6000. Is about as high as a well maintained CRD with all the mods will go for.

The timing belt change process is odd and requires some special tools; three pins to position (but not hold) the cams and crank and a gadget to hold the cam gears while tightening. The cheap version is overpriced fiddly junk and the proper Miller tool is spendy and hard to find. Most dealers won't have anyone qualified to do the job and you might have trouble finding someone anywhere willing to work on it. "Geordie" on LOSTJEEPS is a travelling mechanic who specializes on them.
Thanks for the information. I know when I worked at Chrysler we really didn’t have much knowledge of these and working in emissions, all we did was drive the emissions test cycle and that’s it we never worked on them at all. I will try to get back into the LOSTJEEPS forum and try to get some more information. There’s a guy at my church that works in archiving it but was Chrysler which is now Stellantis and I will ask him if he can get me in your information on these vehicles. Yes I am fully aware of how much better the diesel fuel is over in Europe compared to here having both a Volkswagen TDI and a Ram 3500 Cummins diesel. The guy that I was carpooling with where I work right now, is all up to speed on everything with euro diesels and what’s going on over in Europe and the United States so far behind its not funny. Of course, that’s our government for you! It makes me wonder because I know that the diesel engine in the Liberty CRD was made by VM Motori which is owned by Fiat and I wonder if the diesel that’s in the JL and the Gladiator is the same engine. I don’t know much about that either even though we have had a few where I work right now but I haven’t driven any. I am a vehicle evaluator and we test new vehicles and preproduction vehicles to find faults before the customer does. Thanks again for the information.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
VM Motori was a subsidiary of Detroit Diesel before Fiat bought Chrysler. Not sure who's owning what anymore. Also not sure if the 2.8 CRD is in the JL or Gladiator. Common Rail Diesel is a generic term.

Dieselover

Reaction score
VM Motori was a subsidiary of Detroit Diesel before Fiat bought Chrysler. Not sure who's owning what anymore. Also not sure if the 2.8 CRD is in the JL or Gladiator. Common Rail Diesel is a generic term.
In response to what you wrote, VM Mortori is owned by Fiat and the new Jeep JL as well as the Gladiator with the diesel is the diesel made by VM Morotori.

Latest posts

Members online