New to the forum, 2007 Liberty Sport 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

featherlight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I completely overlooked this thread and went straight to the 'Members' Journal', doh! :gr_grin:

Anyway, my name is Jonathan and I'm a "new" KJ owner. I've had my KJ for a couple months now, but I've loved it so far. I really got introduced to the Jeep brand when I bought a KK for my mom in 2010, because her European car wasn't holding up on the dirt roads in the Caribbean where she lives. The whole thing was a pleasant experience, from purchase at the dealership to exporting and driving it around on the island. It's held up remarkably well over the years, and my parents are not gentle with it by any means. A couple months ago a drunk driver in an Elantra rear ended the KK.... Fortunately everybody was able to walk away from the accident without serious injury. The insurance company totaled the Elantra, the KK needed a new rear bumper and bumper absorber, that was it... :happy175:
So when it came time for me to get a work/winter vehicle, I knew I wanted a Jeep. I came across a nicely priced 2007 KJ, that aside from a few small dents was in good mechanical and electrical condition, so I bought it.
As I mentioned in the 'Members' Journal', I've already started tinkering with it a little bit, so check my post there for more pics.

I'm not looking to transform it into an unlimited off-road capable vehicle, but a better ride and a little better breathing for the engine seem in order. Things I plan to get to over the next couple of months.

As for myself, I'm under 30 and am currently a grad student working hard :party52: to complete a PhD in economics. I have a masters in marine affairs and policy and several years of aquaculture/fisheries and international law experience. Unfortunately I don't have much free time with my current "employment" situation, so there aren't many hobbies to talk about; but I love fish (fishing/observing/eating/learning) and I LOVE cars... I mean borderline obsessive about cars :happy175: Everything from an old 1930's Cadillac to a Lamborghini Aventador (pass on the Veyron). How my wife puts up with it, I have no idea, but thankfully she does. I'm a bit odd I suppose for still believing that hard work can get you somewhere in life, and I hope to one day actually be able to afford a nice house, 2.5 kids, and a manual Corvette Z06 (hey, a man can dream, right?)

Oh and in case you didn't notice, I can be rather long winded, or I suppose in this case "long-typed"? (how she puts up with that, I really have no idea).

Anyway, that's enough about me. Happy to join the forum.

Cheers. :party52:

Attachments

• IMG_2323.jpg
    IMG_2323.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 10

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! You have a spiritual brother here who goes by the handle 'profdlp' who can offer much good advice on the care and feeding of your year KJ....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to JeepKJ one of two of the best KJ sites there is for good information
( other is LOSTJEEPs )
But funny you went to the Members Section first, been on here 10 years or so and never go there at all really. :shrug::happy175:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome featherlight and enjoy the forum.

Dave

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
" a little better breathing for the engine seem in order"

Ummm, no...unless you mean a new, clean air filter...no need to spend $$$ on CAI or trendy filters...stock airbox, intake runner, and OEM-style filter are a much wiser investment...

featherlight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
" a little better breathing for the engine seem in order"

Ummm, no...unless you mean a new, clean air filter...no need to spend $$$ on CAI or trendy filters...stock airbox, intake runner, and OEM-style filter are a much wiser investment...
I currently have the stock airbox, and recently replaced the stock air filter with an OEM part when I did an oil change. Is the stock system the best for airflow? I've seen that K&N makes drop in filters for the KJ, are those any better than the OEM filter or not worth spending the extra money? I know that engineers put a lot of time and work into designing systems, but I also know that sometimes a little is left off the table from the factory.

This is exactly the reason why I joined this forum. I had a mechanic tell me that CAI and exhaust would "get me better gas mileage". He was of course also ready to sell me all of those things for a "low" price. In my other car the CAI did make a difference in response, because it was less restrictive, but it's a whole other animal from the KJ.

Thanks for sharing your insight.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have the stock airbox, and recently replaced the stock air filter with an OEM part when I did an oil change. Is the stock system the best for airflow? I've seen that K&N makes drop in filters for the KJ, are those any better than the OEM filter or not worth spending the extra money? I know that engineers put a lot of time and work into designing systems, but I also know that sometimes a little is left off the table from the factory.

This is exactly the reason why I joined this forum. I had a mechanic tell me that CAI and exhaust would "get me better gas mileage". He was of course also ready to sell me all of those things for a "low" price. In my other car the CAI did make a difference in response, because it was less restrictive, but it's a whole other animal from the KJ.

Thanks for sharing your insight.

CAI or in most cases should be called a hot air intake does nothing for the 3.7s. All you get is more sucking noises nothing more . Stock box and a good quality paper filter does best. Same as K&N don't waste your money again stock type paper filter is best
Pretty much everything but body panels is the same from 02-07
Suspension is the same 02-12, uses same front coils/ shocks only difference is the UCAs from 02-07 to the 08-12s. Rear shocks are the same except for the coils change after 08

Last edited:

featherlight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CAI or in most cases should be called a hot air intake does nothing for the 3.7s. All you get is more sucking noises nothing more . Stock box and a good quality paper filter does best. Same as K&N don't waste your money again stock type paper filter is best
Pretty much everything but body panels is the same from 02-07
Suspension is the same 02-12, uses same front coils/ shocks only difference is the UCAs from 02-07 to the 08-12s. Rear shocks are the same except for the coils change after 08
Haha, I was wondering how "cold" all the CAI's for the 3.7 would really be just sitting in a corner of the engine bay. I almost think the air coming through a snorkel would be "colder". At any rate, thanks for the info. Helps to know what not to bother trowing money at.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online