New Skid Report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Sunday I decided it was time to install the Warn oil and transmission skid that I bought for my TJ. It's not the thickest or the best skid, but I got it for a good deal (or so it started anyway).

Well the day before, after reviewing the parts list, I determined that I needed a few more tools to what I have. So off to Sears, where I spent $150.

Then onto Sunday, I started to remove the stock transmission skid and found out that one bolt was not going to come out at all. A neighbor came over to see what I was doing (he's got an '04 TJ). We figured that we were going to have to cut the bolt off. So he went to his next door neighbor and borrowed a Dremel rotary tool to cut the bolt off. Of course, there was only one well warn circle cutter for metal, that quickly broke. So now I was off to Lowes to buy a new cutter. Of course, after seeing how cool a Dremel rotary tool was, I ended up buying my own, plus some extra cutters... and another $65 spent. ;)

Okay, so back home, the bolt comes off. Then I realize that I'm going to need some serious power tools to get bolts off, back on, and screw down the skid. So I go down the street to another neighbor who had offered his air gun to me anytime. He's a big, older guy, that was more then happy to get out of the house and help me out. We carried over his air gun, all the attachments, and his air compressor. So after about an hour later, we had the skid in place, on the front. The only thing I had to do yet was to drill threw the other skid in the back to attach the new one to it. Of course, I didn't have a big enough drill bit.

So on to Monday, I went to my local True Value and bought a bigger drill bit, and a few other small items for another $20!

And after all that, it's done, and in place! :D

You must be registered for see images

That bastard bolt!

All done...

dnm45227

Reaction score
Yup, that's how my projects develop. But hey, at least you git to buy some cool tools!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll lift it evenually. Maybe next year. It's not going anywhere... so plenty of time. I actually got the Warn skid for about $90 (list was over $200). I know... I know... it's not the best. But it will do for now and I know how to take it off!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Grogie.....any skid is better than no skid. I have just the factory ones and I've banged them a couple of times and they held up. I think it depends on where you're going. If you're going rock crawling at Moab you would need the heaviest you could get. And even then there's a lot of stuff underneith there just hanging out.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree. Yes, it's better then nothing. I can always pound it out. I've got mostly mud around me... not a lot of rocks anyway... LOL.

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be fine if you just have mud.

Just Empty Every Pocket

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.