New Rotors, New Pads, New Tires, Wheel Shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've done a complete front brake job new rotors and pads, followed up by new tires with a full balancing and alignment done. What happens now is a wheel shake when braking from highway speeds. I can't figure out what it could be, searching only yields people who have done either tires or brakes but not both. Any thoughts?

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a tire is not kept it balance or a bad manufactured Tyre.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Bad rotor. Out of balance tire would shimmy regardless of brakes being applied or not.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say the lugs were not torqued down and a few are loose.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes were seated properly, I'll check the torque because it was done at a shop which means they could have just used an impact gun and wrenched on the tires. I'll check on that and take a peek at other things. Could the calipers not be torqued correctly?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Several things, new tires if balanced improperly would give you shimmy/ shaking at certain speeds usually unless real bad.
Rotors may have been popped on and at an angle when wheels were installed and torqued down. Have found that a few times.
If all new hardware was installed correctly then calipers should not be binding/ dragging and causing it.
Also loose front end parts can do that as well , BUT if it did not do it before and they did an alignment they should of caught any loose parts
First check rotor for out of round ( lateral back and forth movement, doesn't have to be much )

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean the rust from the hub surface where the rotor sits,causes alot of shaking from highway speeds on new brakes.
This is something I did NOT do. My own fault but I can pop them off quick enough to clean and reinstall. The rotors are Powerstop and I have them on my GLI now, just installed the rear kit and they work great. I also suspect the wheels were not torqued properly as the tire shop (TFT) tends to just impact gun them on. I had to use a impact to get them off my GLI after an install, took 10 seconds of impacting to get them to bust free.

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also suspect the wheels were not torqued properly as the tire shop (TFT) tends to just impact gun them on. I had to use a impact to get them off my GLI after an install, took 10 seconds of impacting to get them to bust free.

I hate it when shops do this! I went out and bought an impact wrench after the last time I took my Jeep in for a service. I wasn't able to remove the lug nuts as they were on there so tight. Lucky for me I checked them before going bush. If I had a flat tyre out in the middle of woop woop, there is no way I could have got it off using just the tyre iron.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate it when shops do this! I went out and bought an impact wrench after the last time I took my Jeep in for a service. I wasn't able to remove the lug nuts as they were on there so tight. Lucky for me I checked them before going bush. If I had a flat tyre out in the middle of woop woop, there is no way I could have got it off using just the tyre iron.

Second that mate! I've had a few times where my 300ft lb impact couldn't break them loose.. had to get a two foot breaker bar and jump on it (and I weigh 105Kg)!

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the brake calipers? I had one of the pins sticking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check all the ball joints and the hub units for up and down play, tie rods, sway bar, one thing loose can cause lots of symptoms I've found

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk