New power steering pump - white (Teflon?) gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the white gasket is for? I know where the oring goes, but there is a white Teflon gasket also which is about the same OD as the ID of the high pressure hose opening. Doesn't go into the threaded hole easily, but could be threaded in, I believe.
Thanks. Trouble i'm having is the pressure line leaks where it threads into the pump. Thanks!

Last edited:

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigger than the oring, and may be nylon, not sure.

Attachments

• 20220326_175658.jpg
    20220326_175658.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 8

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reason for replacing the Cardone reman pump is a bad leak at the high pressure line. I'm assuming the oring isnt sealing between the line and the pump. New oem orings didn't help. Somehow, it manages to leak a steady small stream between the fitting and metal line.
I bought this BBB Vision OE new pump, so hope it's better.

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured it out.....it goes inside the pump high pressure fitting. It's not something you'd encounter unless you install a brand new pump. It stays inside the pump; I can see remnants of the old one in the old pump where it screws in.
There's the Teflon gasket and the line has an o-ring. If you remove the line you have to look up in the pump fitting to see the Teflon gasket. Once it's in, it's not easy to remove (almost impossible).

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, disregard what I mentioned about the Teflon gasket, it apparently doesn't go inside the pump. I suspect it's just included with a generic instruction/o-ring package that comes with the new pump.
Tried to shove it inside the pump, does not fit the opening without distorting badly, so I know that's not where it goes.
Back to my original issue.....the high pressure line refuses to seal with the supplied o-ring, two Mopar OEM o-rings and a Harbor Freight o-ring. None work, the thing still seeps fluid. I ordered the Edelmann 92109 high pressure hose, since that's the last part I haven't replaced. The hose was replaced with an aftermarket one by the previous owner probably 6 or 7 years ago. I'm thinking the metal line was somehow compromised, although it looks ok.
Will keep everyone posted, so hopefully no one else has to spend a weekend bathed in p/s fluid.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is the KJ?

Early 2002 KJs like mine came with Mopar Power Steering Fluid ....a sort of light honey-colored fluid.

They then issued a TB stating that all of these Jeeps need to have the Power Steering completely flushed-out and replaced with the reddish ATF +4 fluid.

I had no confidence in the local Jeep Mechanics being able to do this task so I have stayed with the Mopar PS Fluid....I **** out as much fluid as I can with a large syringe then top it up again!

Main point is the two fluids cannot be mixed....supposedly gums up everything and has to be flushed out!

Does not help with your gasket problem but may be related!;)