New policies involving Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep warranty. Please Read.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to give all the members here a heads up. I am a Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep tech, and work at a dealership in Idaho. I have worked for the brand for 10 years now.

We have been seeing a lot of notices lately coming from Chrysler regarding new warranty policies. We also attended a class explaining them to us.

In a nutshell, Chrysler is tired of covering warranty repairs due to neglect and lack of maintenance.

In the past, if there was an obvious cause for the failure, Chrysler would ask the customer to provide maintenance records. An example would be engine failure due to sludge buildup. The customer would have to provide records that oil changes were completed at the recommended intervals to have the repair covered under warranty.

Chrysler has taken this a step further now and the dealer has to provide all customer maintenance records to the Chrysler rep before any major warranty repairs can be completed. This includes engines, axles, transfer cases, transmissions, etc.

If the customer cannot provide the records, the repairs will be declined under warranty. If the customer declines to have their vehicle repaired at the dealership, the dealership is to notify Chrysler so that the warranty can be restricted on that vehicle. This prevents the customer from taking their vehicle to another dealership and trying to get their repair done under warranty there.

Chrysler is also looking for any and all reasons to void people's warranties and to avoid paying for repairs.

Perform the recommended maintenance at the recommended intervals. Save all invoices and receipts showing that the services have been completed. Use the recommended fluids and components. If you have all of your records in order, you will be fine.

Like I said, this is just a heads up to let fellow members know that Chrysler is getting extremely strict with their warranty policies. Don't let them give you problems or void your warranty. They have no problem fixing problems that are failure related to poor manufacturing, design, etc. They do have a problem paying for repairs due to lack of maintenance and modifications.

Last edited:

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i just did my own oil change 3 days ago, and was planning on doing my own front brakes this week, wtf am i suppose to do take video of me doing it lol

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just have to provide your receipts. If you do your own oil changes, save the receipt showing the oil and filter purchase.

They aren't extremely strict or picky about what type of receipts or invoices that you provide, just as long as you can show a pattern of maintenance being done.

Chrysler understands that a lot of people do their own maintenance and minor repairs. Just save your receipts is all I'm saying. Anything that you can provide will make things easier for you.

If you keep track of your oil changes, fluid changes, tune ups, etc. in the maintenance log, (I do this) keep your receipts in similar order. That way you can show when the stuff was done, and also show when the parts were purchased. I use K&N oil filters and Valvoline 5w20 synthetic for oil changes. I record the mileage and date in the maintenance log, and keep my store receipts showing oil and filter purchase.

It really isn't a big deal, just a PITA to keep organized.

I just wanted to give people a heads up so you know what to expect from Chrysler from now on. They are almost flat broke, and are looking for any reasons to not pay warranty claims is what it boils down to.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I don't blame them.

Whether I had $5B in the bank (such as right now) or $36B (1998, before Daimler ****) in the bank, I'd have *still* implemented these policies. I don't understand why it's so hard to just keep oils and fluids fresh?

Don't like it?

Don't drive.

Period.

Boiler

Reaction score
I don't blame them.

Whether I had $5B in the bank (such as right now) or $36B (1998, before Daimler ****) in the bank, I'd have *still* implemented these policies. I don't understand why it's so hard to just keep oils and fluids fresh?

Don't like it?

Don't drive.

Period.

I have no problem keeping my maintenance done. I look at the Odometer and pretty much know whats coming up when, and I bet I never go more than a few hundred miles past my expected time.

I do however not keep the best records, which is the real issue. Not only do you have to do it, you need to prove that you did it for years.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I have no problem keeping my maintenance done. I look at the Odometer and pretty much know whats coming up when, and I bet I never go more than a few hundred miles past my expected time.

I do however not keep the best records, which is the real issue. Not only do you have to do it, you need to prove that you did it for years.

Just do what I do, stick everything in a folder, and call it a day.

When something breaks, give them the folder, make them sort everything out. :p

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been doing my own maintenance for years so I save the receipts for whatever I buy and just put them in a folder. I do it the old fashioned way on on 8 1/2 x 11 paper. I write down the date, mileage, what I did. Simple. It is complete with greasy fingerprints, haha. For example, if I want to know when I changed the pcv last, I just look on the log. I keep a different folder for each vehicle so I can remember what I did and when. I just keep them in the garage. That would be my maintenance record.

Dave

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been very meticulous about keeping all of my receipts and maintenance records for my 08 Libby because I have the lifetime powertrain warranty on it. Chrysler will continue to honor it for the original owner as long as the recommended maintenance is completed. If not, it will be voided.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is my only issue. Luckily, I bought the 5 year service plan with Chrysler when I bought my jeep, so they had the record through the warranty period. But after the five year plan was up, I do my own service, however, I'm not good at saving my receipts for oil and what not. I do keep all of my services/repairs what not in an excel spreadsheet. But that's hardly *proof* that I maintain my vehicle. And frankly, a receipt for some oil from Napa seems hardly like proof to me.

My concern is some people are going to be screwed out of warranty repairs by unscrupulous shops that railroad people who keep poor records but have done proper service.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My concern is some people are going to be screwed out of warranty repairs by unscrupulous shops that railroad people who keep poor records but have done proper service.

This is not the case. I have tried to make it clear in my other posts- IT IS NOT THE DEALERSHIPS, IT IS CHRYSLER!!!! THE DEALERSHIPS ARE NOT SCREWING PEOPLE. WE DO NOT MAKE THE FINAL CALL, CHRYSLER DOES. WE DO NOT TRY TO "RAILROAD" ANYBODY, EVER.

We have to fax maintenance records to our district manager, who then makes the call.

Trust me, my dealership fights Chrysler tooth and nail to take care of customers and to get repairs covered that should be covered. We do all that we can to help the customer, because that is our livelihood at stake. Anybody that has ever had their vehicle at our dealership for service can get every service invoice printed off at any time, for any service work ever performed.

Another example is a gentleman that neglected to change the oil in his 2007 Ram with a 6.7L Cummins for 27,000 miles. His last oil change was done at 23,000 miles, and it now has 50,000 miles on the odometer. The engine failed. It's not rocket science there. That is a clear cut case of neglect. His engine is no longer covered by warranty, and rightfully so in my opinion. But we still had to contact our DM and provide him with all the info we had, and let him make the decision.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My KJ isn't under warranty anymore...so doesn't matter to me. Thanks for sharing though. :)

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ is still under warranty t'ill February 2011(Gold Plan). I do my own oil changes and I keep very detailed records. I have a fat file folder filled with maintenance reports and whatnot.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It affects all warranty. Just keep your maintenance records and receipts and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Members online