Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jas1941

Reaction score
Hello I am JJO's Uncle. I was an engineering manager at Chrysler for 30 years. I retired in 2001. The last vehicle I worked on was the new Jeep Liberty that was launched in 2002. I can answer a lot of questions about Jeeps in reference to interior trim and glass. Drop me a line if you have a question. I know a lot of the inside stuff that happens during the design, prototype build and manufactur of Jeeps.

For instance there was a lot of concern at Chrysler that people would not go for the new look of the Liberty. A large faction wanted to retain the older "Square" Cherokee apperance. It was decided to keep the old Cherokee when the new Liberty was launched. They wanted to evaluate the publics reaction before commiting to the new look. However, when the people from Mercedes came into the picture they scrapped the plan to keep the old Cherokee. If it wasn't for DamilerChrysler there would have been two Jeeps to choose from.

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! It's great to have someone with your experience and knowledge prowling the boards. I'm sure I'll have a million questions for you soon...lol.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
whoo hoo...

welcome aboard JJO's uncle....love to hear any more of your stories....and chrysler insight....

\:D/

2003KJ

Reaction score
welcome aboard!!!

I also look forward to hearing more about why stuff was designed the way it was in my Jeep.

Don't know if you know this or not, but who came up with the idea of putting the window switches where they are? DOn't get me wrong, I love the idea, makes me think of my family's old Audi, I was just curious as to who came up with the idea.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A big welcome! I started driving on Wagoneer when i was 12 on a ranch. I always wanted a Wrangler, and could have seen myself owning a Cherokee, but I my KJ has turned out to be the perfect choice.

One question for you, some of the abuse that we all have taken (on the Jeeps Unlimited forum from the "old Jeepers") is over the Liberty's IFS. Can you talk some about this? Why was decided to give the Liberty IFS? I think it has a great ride on and off the paved road.

Also, be sure to read the post "How did you first find your KJ," as you guys should be proud at a making a great addition to the Jeep name that we all enjoy.

Thanks for stopping in! =D>

jas1941

Reaction score
IFS Question

There was a lot of competition in this market segment and sales were starting to fall on the Cherokee. To increase sales the marketing group demanded that the new Jeep have a softer ride. There was a lot of debate on how to make the new KJ more appealing to the non traditional Jeep owners but still maintain their traditional off road capabilities. The IFS was the engineering answer to this request. If you made the transition from the older Cherokee to the new Liberty you probably noticed the smoother normal highway ride. A lot of people want to say they own a Jeep but never take it off road. By the way the old Cherokee was designated XJ. The system Jeep engineering uses to identify a new model is to give it a new letter followed by J.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I am currently "car sitting" my buddies XJ, and I can say there is a very noticeable difference in ride and handleing compared to the KJ. The steering is much tighter and responsive on the KJ. Plus you ride higher! \:D/

jas1941

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
welcome aboard!!!

I also look forward to hearing more about why stuff was designed the way it was in my Jeep.

Don't know if you know this or not, but who came up with the idea of putting the window switches where they are? DOn't get me wrong, I love the idea, makes me think of my family's old Audi, I was just curious as to who came up with the idea.

The marketing people are responsible for most of the new features appearing on the Jeep line. They work with the styling group to make the interior more car like. There is a large power struggle going on with the traditional Jeep engineering and the marketing personel. The real Jeep people want a rugged functional vehicle made for off roading. The marketing people want the vehicle tamed down to appeal to the conventional car buyer. At one time the market group wanted a Jeep model that didn't even offer 4 wheel drive. Can you imagine that!

2003KJ

Reaction score
jas1941 said:
2003KJ said:
welcome aboard!!!

The marketing people are responsible for most of the new features appearing on the Jeep line. They work with the styling group to make the interior more car like. There is a large power struggle going on with the traditional Jeep engineering and the marketing personel. The real Jeep people want a rugged functional vehicle made for off roading. The marketing people want the vehicle tamed down to appeal to the conventional car buyer. At one time the market group wanted a Jeep model that didn't even offer 4 wheel drive. Can you imagine that!

Now thats just flat out stupid!...lol!

I love my KJ. Rides decent (for a jeep) on road, and can still keep up with the best off road.

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to our little community.

I'm English and so I drive a 'Cherokee' badged KJ. I had heard that DC were going to offer the Liberty (KJ) and Cherokee (XJ) to the USA market and only offer the Cherokee (KJ) to the rest of the world. I summised that the North American market was (a) more valuable and/or (b) less inclined to accept the change. Do you know?

Ian

Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question (for anyone really) however I thought this might be a good place to ask...

It seems I need a "Interior Trim Tool" to do some custom interior mods, anyone know where I can get ahold of such tool? Much appreciated.

EDIT: Found a Dash Trim Tool.

- Hammer

jas1941

Reaction score
kj lad said:
Welcome to our little community.

I'm English and so I drive a 'Cherokee' badged KJ. I had heard that DC were going to offer the Liberty (KJ) and Cherokee (XJ) to the USA market and only offer the Cherokee (KJ) to the rest of the world. I summised that the North American market was (a) more valuable and/or (b) less inclined to accept the change. Do you know?

Ian

Glad to hear from someone who drives on the wrong side of the road. The answer to your question was both versions were going to be offered to everyone world wide. The concern about loosing customers that would be turned off by the new rounded look of the Liberty caused a lot of executives to freeze up. In order to cover all bases both models were going to be offered. Chrysler went as far as having all the parts suppliers submit tooling costs to continue the old Cherokee model for two additional years. When a supplier is chosen to participate in manufacturing parts for a new model they are guaranteed a certain amount of volme. This enables the supplier to amortize their tooling cost on the parts they will be producing. Some of this tooling has to be replaced after that quantity of parts are produced. This additional tooling cost might result in an increase in the parts price to Chrysler. This was a cost impact that Chrysler had to approve. That was one of the reasons Daimler refused to continue the Cherokee and only had the Liberty model offered.

It doesn't come easy for even the big guys to make the hard decisions.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.