New lifters/rockers installed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Country2003KJ

Reaction score
Is there a non-intrusive method to check if my 03 limited 3.7L has new lifters installed? Do I have to do a physical inspection by opening the valve covers? This Jeep is in great condition and when I bought it two years ago it leaked oil and I replaced the pvc hoses and breather tubes and solved that problem. They were original. But I wonder if I need to confirm the lifter/rocker issue. Nothing indicates there is a problem but curious at this point. ???

Country2003KJ

Reaction score
You’ve had and driven the Liberty for two years. No way ever to determine age of those internals.
Unless I open the valve covers and look at the rockers and lifters to see if they are the original or have been replaced with the upgraded rockers/newer lifters? Correct???

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a quick way to try and tell is when you have the valve cover off, look at the rockers.

The old rockers have a bigger oil hole in the pushrod end of the rocker. Those spray oil all over the place if you run without the valve cover on. Newer rockers had a smaller hole to keep more oil in the lash adjuster / lifter to keep more oil in the lifter, supposedly to help prevent the collapse of the lifter.

Country2003KJ

Reaction score
Yeah, I am familiar with what to look for but I am not interested in opening up a leak free valve cover. My luck, they would leak when I re-installed just to get a looksee. Anyway I have no reason to suspect any issues based upon the history of the vehicle and the places it was driven. It has a NAV system from 2003 still installed and I had a chance to look over the routes of the previous owner and they were highway miles. The jeep is from Seattle and the first oil change was at 3500 miles here in Alexandria Virginia. It had to be safety inspected yearly and emissions inspected even 2 years to maintain registration in the state. The CarFax showed each time it was inspected and some level of maintenance completed. They drove it about 5000 miles a year and fixed everything that was an issue. There was nothing significantly wrong with it, but I do not think there is evidence that major work like lifters/rockers were replaced. The oil was replaced regular intervals of 3000 to 3500 miles at a place near the previous owners address. The power steering was flushed, etc. The area is stop and start area and all highway and no off roading.

I am just keeping my eyes open to the possibilities of engine issues based upon the history of the Liberty. The other day the TPS finked out on me and when I replaced it with an OEM Mopar sensor I could see they previous owner used and after market TPS. I drove no more that 5 miles when the engine light came on and then let is sit until I got the new OEM TPS.