New KJ owner introduction and a few questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freighttrain05

Reaction score
Hey there just wanted to introduce myself I'm Ed. I purchased a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport this last week. I found this forum prior to my purchase and was thrilled to find such an active community built around my new Jeep.

You must be registered for see images attach

The Jeep has 100k on it and the interior is like new. I actually bought the Jeep from a nun. Single owner, fleet vehicle out of Colorado, per the mileage log in the car it was driven almost exclusively on the highway and has a great detailed maintenance history with it.

It runs great and I have quickly fallen in love with it. My previous car is/was (eh for sale now) a 1996 Cadillac Seville SLS. I'm going to miss it, but I can say I'm happy to never work on that Northstar again.

Anyway when I got it home I gave it a nice bath and then changed the oil to 5W-30 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic High Mileage. I also installed a Mobil 1 filter. And a new air filter. The wheels on it are ugly and rusted and I think that will be one of my first upgrades. Although I am going to the junkyard after work to look for an EVIC to install.

I plan on ordering these wheels to replace the ugly mess that is there now and then I will get a new set of rubber as my budget permits.

Pro Comp Wheels Part 52-6766 - 52 Rock Crawler Series - Gloss Black Powder Wheels

Beyond that I did have a few questions.

I am going to change the transmission filters and I believe based on my mfg date 01/03 I have the 45RFE I will get under the car later today before I order my filters.

I also intend on installing a shift kit. I was thinking of ordering from here.

APS Precision Mfg, LLC. - TransGo Shift Kits

Anyone know the difference between the standard shift kit and the performance one? Is it worth the extra money? Also should I be installing a shift kit into a higher mileage transmission would I still reap the same benefit and life extension?

**Edit** How can I tell if I have a deep or shallow trans pan?

Also I would like to identify the proper fluids for the diffs and if I need to use any additives. I've never owned a 4x4 before.

Other than that I'm going to order some copper plugs to install as I don't know whats in there and everyone seems to recommend them.

So anyway I'm just excited about my Jeep and terrified of the vacuum affect it may have on my wallet.

I also plan on upgrading the deck and speakers as mine only has a tape player and I already for a tape-3.5mm adapter stuck in it :rofl:

Also my rear right passenger window regulator crapped out while I was driving it home, and that caused the door to stop functioning. So I guess you could say I already had my first fight with the Jeep. I intend on repairing both rear windows with this kit. Any thoughts?

Steiger Performance - Jeep Liberty Power Window Regulator Repair Kit

Does anyone have info on where/what I should be greasing and lubing regularly on the underside? Or better yet, where might I locate a FSM for this Jeep?

Last question, being from CO I have found sand all over the place, when I pulled the air filter there was a nice red tint to it. Anyway I'm considering taking it to a buddy to get a full interior/exterior/engine bay cleaning. Anything I should pay close attention to/give extra attention to ensure there is not sand present?

Anyway just wanted to say Hello and I hope to get to know some of you as I learn more about this vehicle. I decided to support the site right away based on how much useful information I have found so far.

So thanks for being a kickass community!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st don't call it a car. it will bite you.

you have the 45rfe. Best transmission by far
I'd just take it to the dealer for anything transmission related. That is if you want it done right. If you're not having problems I wouldn't change the filter in it. Just get it flushed at the dealer and be done.

Those wheels would work and look nice!

Nothing to lube underneath really. all the stock stuff is just replace only.

Some people have their settings setup to display images at full size. At first glance I can only see your headlight and front wheel.
Just saying....

Nice color jeep you have there. Used to have that myself.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you lift it you'll have some rubbing with those wheels
just paint yours and save the money

By the way Welcome

Read through all the specs etc it will tell you what types of fluid etc to use
Remember only use ATF 4 and and also HOAT coolant

Freighttrain05

Reaction score
Unless you lift it you'll have some rubbing with those wheels
just paint yours and save the money

By the way Welcome

Read through all the specs etc it will tell you what types of fluid etc to use
Remember only use ATF 4 and and also HOAT coolant

Would the rubbing occur due to the backspace? If so I will continue my search for wheels. I have a lift on my list, just not a high priority over some other things I would like to do.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those Pro Comp Wheels Part 52-6766 - 52 Rock Crawler Series - Gloss Black Powder Wheels will work with a lift but likely not before as it is similar in size to the more common soft 8's.

They will push the tires outward such that when you turn you will rub on the front bumper and possibly the rear pinch weld depending upon tire choice and size without the extra height required.

Without a lift on stock rims 245 70 16 will fit. If you wish to go larger a lift will be required and recommendations can be found in the tire section. Plus paint for rims is cheap.

If you can swing it, i would lift first before rims and tires if you are thinking 245 75 16s down the line.

There are no factory grease points under your jeep either.

Enjoy your new jeep and welcome to the forum.

Last edited: