New Here From Indiana

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmitch

Reaction score
Hello all, Just purchased my 4th Jeep last week, a 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport. Silver, 148K miles. Seems in pretty decent shape other than some rust. All I've done is a bit of detailing.

Plan for this is a commuter over the winter, and then make a overlanding type spare vehicle to go camping, and light off-roading with. Thinking more forest roads and such, not serious rock-crawling or mud pits.

First step is getting everything up to *****. Has the oil light issue, and got a code P0456 this morning. Also has a clunk in the front end which I'll be diving into (seems like sway bar bushings are a prime suspect.) Brakes seem okay, but I'll probably throw new discs and pads on there. Will need new tires before the winter.

Been off-roading for 25 years. Been working on cars/trucks/motorcycles for 40+ years.

Had 3 XJ's before this Jeep, and would have bought another one if the ones in my price range weren't all rusted out.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Congrats on a getting a 2006 KJ. Ya XJ's are hard to find in really clean shape now-a days.
KJ's do well off road and you may consider some new OME 927/948 spring lift suspension. See lift section.
The oil light pressure sensor can be replaced.
You must be registered for see images attach

The 0456 code Evap small leak could be as simple as the gas cap try a Mopar one.
If that does not fix it further inspections looking for cracked lines under hood around gas tank may be necessary.
That is where a smoke machine comes in handy.
Here is the 2006 Factory service manual. This will help you along. http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2006-KJ-SM.pdf
Btw -Where is the rust at?

kmitch

Reaction score
Thank you for all the info, I'd found most of that but the picture is helpful. Hadn't gotten under the hood to find where the sensor was yet.

That factory manual link is awesome, thank you. Was just going to purchase that.

Rust rear rockers and doors mostly. Once we move and get a garage, I'll be taking off the plastic moldings, getting the rust off/neutralized, then POR15 everything in site. Been there, done that on a Suzuki Samurai I owned way back when.

Also forgot, I must have one of the few Jeeps to not have any tow hooks/tow eyes in the front, and no hitch in the rear. o_O That'll definitely be a fast priority, I've gotten people out of ditches/road sides in the snow with every 4x4 I've owned.

I guess another issue is there is a rattle from the front, sounds like a loose heat sheild.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes tow points are necessary. Jeep had a recall for a FREE rear hitch as gas tank protection.
You can check your VIN#/recalls online here & see what kind basic hitch they may be currently offering.
It probably is not a receiver type, but I thought I'd throw that info in here anyways.
https://www.mopar.com/en-ca/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Also under recalls, you may have free Lower rear controls arms available, if that work has not already been done.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes tow points are necessary. Jeep had a recall for a FREE rear hitch as gas tank protection.
You can check your VIN#/recalls online here & see what kind basic hitch they may be currently offering.
It probably is not a receiver type, but I thought I'd throw that info in here anyways.
https://www.mopar.com/en-ca/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html
It would be a receiver type, same as Jeep installed on their towing packages

and WELCOME kmitch, sounds like you have been wrenching about as long as I have
gets in your blood and under your finger nails ;)
I started out 45 years ago or so with Jeeps always been at least one or two around plus other 4X4s, been wrenching since I was 10-11 when Dad was too lazy to do what needed done to repair the vehicles we had

kmitch

Reaction score
It would be a receiver type, same as Jeep installed on their towing packages

and WELCOME kmitch, sounds like you have been wrenching about as long as I have
gets in your blood and under your finger nails ;)
I started out 45 years ago or so with Jeeps always been at least one or two around plus other 4X4s, been wrenching since I was 10-11 when Dad was too lazy to do what needed done to repair the vehicles we had

Thanks, my dad taught me how to change plugs and set the points on his Fury III way back when. I graduated to brake shoes and even some body work on that car.

I'll be checking in with the dealer to see about those 2 recalls, thanks everyone.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hello all, Just purchased my 4th Jeep last week, a 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport. Silver, 148K miles. Seems in pretty decent shape other than some rust. All I've done is a bit of detailing.

Plan for this is a commuter over the winter, and then make a overlanding type spare vehicle to go camping, and light off-roading with. Thinking more forest roads and such, not serious rock-crawling or mud pits.

First step is getting everything up to *****. Has the oil light issue, and got a code P0456 this morning. Also has a clunk in the front end which I'll be diving into (seems like sway bar bushings are a prime suspect.) Brakes seem okay, but I'll probably throw new discs and pads on there. Will need new tires before the winter.

Been off-roading for 25 years. Been working on cars/trucks/motorcycles for 40+ years.

Had 3 XJ's before this Jeep, and would have bought another one if the ones in my price range weren't all rusted out.

Welcome to the site. Make sure you do document what you do to fix the clunk and any other add ons or upgrades you do with pics and walkthoughs. I always love reading through those. Also, post up pics of your '06 when you can! :)

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi & Welcome! I'm pretty sure his will fall under the recall mine is a 06 and mine was and got installed I don't think they did the wires with the recall though.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi & Welcome! I'm pretty sure his will fall under the recall mine is a 06 and mine was and got installed I don't think they did the wires with the recall though.
No you get the hitch for protection, not for towing anything. If you want to do that , you provide the wiring.
Digging another one out ;)

Latest posts

Members online