New Guy with Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAshcraft1969

MAshcraft
Reaction score
New guy here with Issues. 2006 Liberty 4*4 with 218K, auto. New trans, ECU, coils, plugs, cam sensor, crank sensor, tps and motor still runs like crap. Codes are for multiple random misfires, undefined fuel ratio and fuel system too rich. What could be causing this? Any help is greatly appreciated in advance.

VR
Mike Ashcraft

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you tell us what are the exact code numbers ?

MAshcraft1969

MAshcraft
Reaction score
I will run my codes again today and post them. The rain was a downpour and I don't have a garage. It's all driveway work at my place.
I ran the codes again and now only get one. P0300 random misfires. I also have unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust and white fuel smelling smoke. Put another fuel pump assembly in the tank this morning and still the same thing. I'm at a loss.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What plugs did you fit....must have certain NGK plug set to the correct gap...the gasser experts here will help out here!

tommudd has the correct answer in the Frequently asked questions section!

MAshcraft1969

MAshcraft
Reaction score
What plugs did you fit....must have certain NGK plug set to the correct gap...the gasser experts here will help out here!

tommudd has the correct answer in the Frequently asked questions section!
OEM copper plugs, pre gapped for the 06 3.7l. My neighbor (former Ford mechanic) thinks that I have a bad head gasket from all of the unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust. I'm going to pull all of the injectors tomorrow and check them for action. May be stuck open as well.

MAshcraft1969

MAshcraft
Reaction score
I'm possibly going to gut the 06 and build the 04 skeleton that I have I. The back yard. The 06 and from WV and is riddled with rust. The 04 skeleton that I have is virtually rust free.

MAshcraft1969

MAshcraft
Reaction score
Still nothing. I did have an Injector that was stuck open. Replaced it and re wired the coil pigtail, had it backwards. Ran great for 5 whole miles. Almost left me on the highway heading to work. Same problem as before. Won't rev over 2000 RPM at any speed. Ran codes, injector 4 circuit and random misfires. WTF is wrong with these engines?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swap over injector 4 with another one and see if problem moves with the injector.

Misfires can also be caused by the coil packs so swap them around to see if the misfire moves to a different cylinder.

Did you move the complete engine, harness, PCM, TCM etc. from the 06 KJ to the 04 Chassis or is everything still in the rusty 06?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swap over injector 4 with another one and see if problem moves with the injector.

Misfires can also be caused by the coil packs so swap them around to see if the misfire moves to a different cylinder.

Did you move the complete engine, harness, PCM, TCM etc. from the 06 KJ to the 04 Chassis or is everything still in the rusty 06?

MAshcraft1969

MAshcraft
Reaction score

Did the switching of injectors and coils. Even put the old ECU back in it and a different set of issues came up. But that's why I put the new ECU in. Ran Seafoam through the tank, crank case and even ran some through the intake. It never smoked like you see on YouTube. Still has a slight misfire but didn't let me down going to or coming from work today. Everything is still in the rust bucket for the time being. Been too hot for that amount of work.

MAshcraft1969

MAshcraft
Reaction score
So, ran great since the last posting and, out of the blue, same problem as before. Misfire on cylinder 4 and injector 4 circuit failure. Going to work I. The day and school at night. Have to rip the top off again to figure this shit box out. Wish me luck.