New guy lookin for help for my girl!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deathbypsi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Names Brian and Im a serious off road junky but im on the Ford side of the fence;) However...my woman owns a clean 03 KJ Sport and she is tired of driving it in bone stock form so that brings both of us here.

Im sure I will we have lots of stupid newbie questions so bare with me as I ask in the public forums...I plan to do alot of searching but already I can see Im not up on alot of the KJ specific terms and slang so be kind with me or I will park my Bronco2 on top of your little Jeeps!:D

Anyway, we are from the Toledo Ohio area so if there are any members near us please speak up so I might be able to get some first hand advice or see some nice KJ's up close!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
MMM,Toledo,yeah there might be a couple of Libbys around there.Welcome.Bring the bronco too

deathbypsi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha....I just realized the whole Toledo connection!! Duh!

Well point em this way! We need some help with this thing as I have no idea where to start on this.She is really wanting to see if she can hang with the boys when we go out but in her truck not mine anymore.

Here is my toy and I am a member of the North West Ohio Crawlers also.
You must be registered for see images attach

And here is Dawn playin with mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBVfjDSStrs

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Brian & Dawn. There is a lot of info here that you are looking for. Also, a bunch of Ohio Guys here too. You are in the right place.

Dave

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
The best lift for the KJ is the Frankenlift sold at Boulderbars.com
This lift will net you 2.5-3" of lift, and will be about the safe useable limit for the IFS setup under the Jeep. Any higher and the front CV's won't be happy, and neither will the bride. ;)

OME springs are also sold separately at various 4x4 online vendors, and lots of people run this set up with Rancho shocks/OME shock(your choice) including myself. This set up or the one above will allow for at least a 245/75/16 tire, with some minor rub on some KJ's and some don't...kinda depends on the tires you choose.

Do some reading on the LIFT section and see the general consences.

Spring lift is the way to go.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Brian welcome to where am I now oh yes KJ country
I will shoot you my cell number and we can get together soon maybe!

Tom

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie thought he posted here, but apparently not.

Welcome from SW Ohio

But technically, SW TN/NW MS.

Sweet BII! more pics?

deathbypsi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the welcome! Tom,I will call soon.

We seen Rusty's 159.00 2" lift a few days ago and got all excited but I havent read anything about here yet. I am assuming this not the preferred way to lift these?

I could post a few more of my B2 but I didnt want to clutter up your site with my garbage!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score

We seen Rusty's 159.00 2" lift a few days ago and got all excited but I havent read anything about here yet. I am assuming this not the preferred way to lift these?

I could post a few more of my B2 but I didnt want to clutter up your site with my garbage!

IMO,don't be shy.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

If you want problems down the road then go for the Rustys spacer but no its not the best way for sure. Even Rustys full spring kit will give you lift for a few months but will sag like Grandma before yuo know it. Rustys has the same spring rate as stock.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say Frankenlift, boulderbars if shes gonna be doing some crawling with you guys. and lockers... but if your doing lockers might as well re-gear to 4.10's if you plan on putting big tires on it.. I currently run 32" M/Ts and get terrible gas mileage with my stock 3.73 gears.. but this is what it looks like compared to my buddies new stock kj

deathbypsi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well she wont be doing any rock crawling with hers but she will hit the dunes and some trails with us.A rear locker will be on the list after lift and tires for sure.Im thinkin some 245/75-16's would be more than plenty for her on some better rims.I was pushing for some Grabber AT2's since I have em on my Ranger and love em but she really wants either Turatracks or MTR's(dunno) I think she will hate them on ice but hey its her truck!
Im glad we didnt jump at the Rustys stuff then. I will look into the one you mentioned next then.Please tell me it wont cost 2600.00 to lift it 2.5" like my stupid 99 Ranger.

And by popular demand I present you my junk......;)
First my daily driver.Its my old retired trail beater 99 Ranger.It has a built 4.0 with ported heads,Comp cam,new 5spd auto,4.10's,Aussie lockers,265/75-16 AT2's on ProComp wheels and ProComp suspension.

And my beater 90 Bronco 2. Stock 2.9/auto,d35 open front,welded 7.5 rear,homemade bumpers,winch mount and sliders,4" custom lift with Xj coils,dual shocks,33x12.5 KM2's and too much more to list!

This is getting a d44 front,8.8 rear,4.56 and lockers at both ends and a 89 efi 5.0 before x-mas.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
(welcome)

Nice Fords.....I just got pulled out by a '00 F 150 a few weeks ago!!! :D

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
$700 Will get you OME springs and shocks

$ 1100 Will get you the Frankenlift

Each will give you at least 2.5" lift, maybe more.

Plus budget for Al's Upper control arms $385/pair

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the Frankenlift is a good bit higher than just the OME coils. since the frankenlift uses the OME HD coils + their poly coil spacer.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the Frankenlift is a good bit higher than just the OME coils. since the frankenlift uses the OME HD coils + their poly coil spacer.

Yeah, 3" tops. That's why I said "maybe more". Then do a clevis, and your at 3.5" which is a good DD limit.