New front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mthor77

Reaction score
Hello. New here. Hope to not ask to many dumb questions. I have a completely stock 2005 liberty with 150,000 miles. Front is is pretty much shot. Dips when braking, needs alignment, creaks badly, walks some, follows any groove in the road, etc. so I’m thinking I need all new parts.
This is a daily driver on pavement 99% of the time.
My question is where do I start? I can not afford to do all of it at one time. So what would be the best systematic way to replace parts?
Thank you for any help!

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of doing the same thing. First off is the struts and rear shocks then off to the A arm bushings and ball joints then followed by stabilizer bar bushings. Mine aren't so bad but I have 132,000 miles on her so I am replacing in the order that I think is good for me.
If your's is that bad I would start with ball joint so the tire doesn't cave in or tie rod ends so you don't lose control.

Mthor77

Reaction score
I’ve started to notice the wear on the inside of the front tires. And definitely have noticed the stabilizer is pretty work anytime I hit a bump. The actual steering is pretty tight. Like no slack between steering wheel movement and movement of tires.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start with things that are safety concerns, such as ball joints and tie rods. But keep in mind after replacing each component you should get an alignment. Which means many assignments if you don't just do it all at once. Make the effort to check thinks so you don't end up replacing something that doesn't need replaced. Having said that, if nothing has been replaced yet chances are almost everything needs replaced anyway. Here's a list of things I would check in relative order, I'm sure someone will tell me I forgot something, but here goes. Wheel bearings, ball joints (upper and lower), tie rods (inner and outer), rack bushings, a-arm bushings (upper and lower), CV axles and intermediate shaft (since we're tearing the front end apart anyway), and diff mount bushings. That last one don't often need replaced, but since you're checking stuff, might as well check. Have fun!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
New springs and shocks all around, stock ae dead by 65-70,000 miles ( no struts on a KJ )
Measure from middle of the wheel on left front to bottom of the flare stock after April 12, 2002 was 19 inches
lower ball joints are the first thing to check though, plus upper ball joints ( have to replace the whole arm )
then rest of bushings, tie rod ends etc

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am in the process of doing the same thing. First off is the struts and rear shocks then off to the A arm bushings and ball joints then followed by stabilizer bar bushings. Mine aren't so bad but I have 132,000 miles on her so I am replacing in the order that I think is good for me.
If your's is that bad I would start with ball joint so the tire doesn't cave in or tie rod ends so you don't lose control.

Forgot springs , never replace shocks without replacing springs on these , stock is junk from get go
and no struts , coilover shocks up front

Mthor77

Reaction score
Thanks every body. Considering what was said about doing an alignment after every replacement, I am pricing everything and will more than likely try to replace all at once. Hopefully nothing breaks before then.

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot springs , never replace shocks without replacing springs on these , stock is junk from get go
and no struts , coilover shocks up front

Bought the complete struts which have springs on them already.

Mthor77

Reaction score
Bought what coilovers ? Hopefully good set, lots of cheap junk out there nowdays
What is a good set? Been looking around and still haven’t decided. Don’t want trash but don’t want to pay an arm and a leg either. I see that carports.com is a recommended on this site. Do they carry quality front end parts? Thanks!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What is a good set? Been looking around and still haven’t decided. Don’t want trash but don’t want to pay an arm and a leg either. I see that carports.com is a recommended on this site. Do they carry quality front end parts? Thanks!
Buy cheap and you'll cry in a few months, spend the money on quality parts.
As far as springs and shocks any brand that says stock like or same rating as stock are junk
front springs were underrated from the factory and only rated at 310 lb where they should of been 345-350

Latest posts

Members online