New forum member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZachA2008

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm Zach drive a 2008 jeep liberty so far I enjoy driving it but joined because I had a few questions about it

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Zach
what questions do you have about your 08 ?
Post up color/ model / miles and other information that pertains to it

ZachA2008

Reaction score
Thank you and after I drive it bout a hour I'm getting a burning rubber smell and lack of acceleration when I put down the gas it like it's choking or something I can't find what is wrong with it no check engine light or anything on and it only does it after driving awhile

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Lack of acceleration could be caused by brake calipers sticking.
Inspection time. Also check for play, movement in wheel bearings/hubs.
Rubber burning smell not sure, are tires rubbing anywhere?

ZachA2008

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Zach
what questions do you have about your 08 ?
Post up color/ model / miles and other information that pertains to it
2008 Jeep Liberty 170,000 miles Blue had it for 6 years Lack of Acceleration when driving a hour or more along with burning rubber smell

ZachA2008

Reaction score
Lack of acceleration could be caused by brake calipers sticking.
Inspection time. Also check for play, movement in wheel bearings/hubs.
Rubber burning smell not sure, are tires rubbing anywhere?
That’s what I had been thinking but it only does it after driven awhile I put new rotors and pads on the front and bled them last year I only changed the pads on the back though and I haven’t noticed the tires rubbing it does shake when braking after driving for awhile I’ll have to take a look at the brakes and rotors and wheel bearings you think it could be the rotors sticking

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the KK has the same problems as the KJ, but I'm currently fixing the stuck caliper glide pins on mine. Some clipboard warrior thought it was a good idea to put a rubber or silicone boot around one of the pins, and it's either oversized or it swells up easily.

I don't know if this would cause your problem, maybe just uneven brake wear, but I feel still worth checking while you're looking at stuff if it's a new to you vehicle.

ZachA2008

Reaction score
I don't know if the KK has the same problems as the KJ, but I'm currently fixing the stuck caliper glide pins on mine. Some clipboard warrior thought it was a good idea to put a rubber or silicone boot around one of the pins, and it's either oversized or it swells up easily.

I don't know if this would cause your problem, maybe just uneven brake wear, but I feel still worth checking while you're looking at stuff if it's a new to you vehicle.
Yes I’ll definitely check it out I had the Jeep for a couple years I fixed a lot of the issues and I put new brakes and rotors on it last year but it just recently started acting up especially when it gets hot after driving awhile

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the symptoms' you are describing can be caused by a rubber brake line being bad
The hot smell
vibrations
working ok when cold, then when warming up you notice it more
Just did a Patriot with those same things last Friday , right front brake hose was bad
When it was cold, good fluid coming out
Drive it 10-12 miles and smelled hot and could not get any fluid except what was in caliper to come out
One thing to check

ZachA2008

Reaction score
Some of the symptoms' you are describing can be caused by a rubber brake line being bad
The hot smell
vibrations
working ok when cold, then when warming up you notice it more
Just did a Patriot with those same things last Friday , right front brake hose was bad
When it was cold, good fluid coming out
Drive it 10-12 miles and smelled hot and could not get any fluid except what was in caliper to come out
One thing to check
That sounds exactly like is what is happening runs fine cold drive it awhile the front shakes when braking and smells like it’s burning and lacking acceleration when it’s hot is that a symptom as well

TF843

Reaction score
2008 Jeep Liberty 170,000 miles Blue had it for 6 years Lack of Acceleration when driving a hour or more along with burning rubber smell
Regarding the burning smell, check under the hood. Wires and stuff can rest up against the engine and create a smell. The wiring system is wrap in a tubing material, mine is starting to crumble and fall apart , it fall down in the hot part of the engine and and could be a problem, worth a check. I am also an '08 Liberty owner.

Chris Vijoen

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm Zach drive a 2008 jeep liberty so far I enjoy driving it but joined because I had a few questions about it
I've replaced everything to do with cooling sytem. Eventually replaced radiator an problem was solved.

StrayKatJJL

Reaction score
Hi - I own a 2006 I just serviced a bunch of things on. I also had a brake hose fail - and then that hose failed 6 months later. I was able to tell because - smell and the wheel was HOT.
I would change PVC valve which can cause an odor if not working and also consider replacing the tran filter. I had a smell I couldn't pin down and after doing that it stopped. I did find debris in the filter from the previous owner gasket **** which made a mess. I always pay for the reusable gasket - if you decide to do so, look into getting dorman 265-818 Automatic transmission Oil Pan - It has a oil lug nut on it for future changes much easier

Joey D

Reaction score
That’s what I had been thinking but it only does it after driven awhile I put new rotors and pads on the front and bled them last year I only changed the pads on the back though and I haven’t noticed the tires rubbing it does shake when braking after driving for awhile I’ll have to take a look at the brakes and rotors and wheel bearings you think it could be the rotors sticking
I like the sticking calipers idea. Couldn't the rubber smell be from sticking caliper making the wheel hot?

ZachA2008

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking the caliper sticking to the rotors was the problem I’ll have to take a look at it when I can

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it for a drive and check the temperature ate each wheel every 5-10 minutes. Just hold your hand close to the center of the wheel. If one of the brakes is causing an issue you will feel it being much warmer than the others. Don't keep driving it that way though, that heat into the brakes and hub will cause problems. With the brakes it can cause the pad material to get brittle and fail and in the hubs it can cause seal failure and then grease goes bad and you burn up the bearings.
Your description sounds like a flex line failure, they act like a one way valve and as the fluid heats up the "valve" blocks the return flow of fluid as it expands and that applies the brakes. Then more heat causes more expansion until you are burning up the brakes and hub.
Repair is simple, replace the line(s) and bleed the system. You can save some effort if you put a block of wood or a prop rod between the brake pedal and seat to hold it down about 2" or so, that blocks the fluid transfer ports in the master cylinder so you don't lose a lot of fluid while changing the lines out.

larryblevins

Reaction score
Thank you and after I drive it bout a hour I'm getting a burning rubber smell and lack of acceleration when I put down the gas it like it's choking or something I can't find what is wrong with it no check engine light or anything on and it only does it after driving awhile

larryblevins

Reaction score
I had the same issue like electrical wire burning smell while driving my 2012 with 146000 miles. I found the driver's side wheel really hot and the smell coming from that area. The brake caliper on that side was causing the issue. The pins moved freely but the caliper piston was sticking and the brake pad between the piston and rotor was worn unevenly into a taper. The piston appeared to be cocked a little the same as the worn pad. I replaced both front calipers and issued solved.

ZachA2008

Reaction score
So I got the brake lines hoses replaced and haven’t had the problem since hopefully that was the problem

Latest posts

Members online