New canuck here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I stumbled across this forum while doing some research on the KJ Liberty.

I am 24yo, recent college grad and soon to be IT analyst. I start my new job in a couple of weeks. Once I am settled in at my new job, I plan on buying my first vehicle(well, first car under my name anyway.) Will probably be in August/September. Anyways, for the past few months I've been looking at many vehicles, from new to used. I decided not to go new since the ones I liked were out of my budget range. It came down to the 05 to 07 Ford Escape and Jeep Liberty. After doing some research and finding out that the Escape has a major transmission weakness, I switched over to the Liberty. So far it looks like a pretty good vehicle. I would love to get my hands on a Renegade. Wow, very sexy! If I can't, then probably the Limited.

Anyways, in the coming days/weeks, I will likely make a thread in the appropriate section asking some questions and looking for some advice/tips/whatever on buying a used KJ.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the welcome. Great forum you guys and girls have here:)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. You found the right place. We are real good at helping people spend money......haha

Dave

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey fellow Canuck! Welcome aboard! What year and style are you looking to get? The Renegades are nice, I wish I had have held out for one myself.

Cheerz from Nepean.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome:)

Hey fellow Canuck! Welcome aboard! What year and style are you looking to get? The Renegades are nice, I wish I had have held out for one myself.

Cheerz from Nepean.
I am looking at the 05 and 06 Liberty Renegade and Limited models. I can't seem to find any 07s. Though I have only been scouting the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealerships since I would like to get a Chrysler/Jeep certified Liberty(good idea??).

Nepean huh? I'm actually in Gatineau myself. So which dealer(s) in Ottawa should I check out? Thanks ;)

Oh and I ain't interested in auction dealers like Mega in Gatineau. IMO buying an auctioned vehicle is just asking for headaches down the road.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I am looking at the 05 and 06 Liberty Renegade and Limited models. I can't seem to find any 07s. Though I have only been scouting the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealerships since I would like to get a Chrysler/Jeep certified Liberty(good idea??).

Nepean huh? I'm actually in Gatineau myself. So which dealer(s) in Ottawa should I check out? Thanks ;)

Oh and I ain't interested in auction dealers like Mega in Gatineau. IMO buying an auctioned vehicle is just asking for headaches down the road.

The Rennie wasn't made in 07....:)

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Rennie wasn't made in 07....:)
Ah, didn't know that. Good to know. Well then, 05-06 Renegade & 05-07 Limited then;). But still, from the dealers I've scouted in my area, I haven't seen an 07 Liberty.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score

Yeah, I moved here last winter and this is where I landed..lol.

Try Southbank Jeep Chrysler, Dalwari Jeep Chrysler on Hunt Club, and there is a dealer in Kanata but I can't remember their name. Oh there is a dealer on Bank St too.

Mine came from auction, and I had no major problems with it...water pump,upper control arm over the rear diff..all under warranty so I didn't care.:p Most times you get a really good vehicle through those auctions..just need to inspect it close before bidding.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I moved here last winter and this is where I landed..lol.

Try Southbank Jeep Chrysler, Dalwari Jeep Chrysler on Hunt Club, and there is a dealer in Kanata but I can't remember their name. Oh there is a dealer on Bank St too.

Mine came from auction, and I had no major problems with it...water pump,upper control arm over the rear diff..all under warranty so I didn't care.:p Most times you get a really good vehicle through those auctions..just need to inspect it close before bidding.
Will do thanks:)

Id rather buy it from a Jeep dealership. I know that Jeep does a 150 point inspection on the vehicle before putting it for sale.

I'm gonna keep doing my homework and probably have questions for you guys(and girls) in the coming weeks. I'll keep you all up to date. Though, please feel free to give me advice in the mean time. Much appreciated:D

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(welcome) Any chance you can find a CRD over there? If so...I'd go for a diesel.
They build Renegades with a CRD engine/manual ******...

Bit biased though :D
From the dealerships I've scouted, I have yet to find a CRD. Not sure I really want one though. The gas stations in my area don't offer diesel and doesn't the CRD in the Liberty have a few PITA quirks? I think I'm gonna stick with the 3.7...

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
(welcome) Any chance you can find a CRD over there? If so...I'd go for a diesel.
They build Renegades with a CRD engine/manual ******...

Bit biased though :D

Unfortunately, they didn't make a stick CRD here. I don't believe the Renny was available as a CRD.....:)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
71 000KMs...that's a bit much. Id like to stick in the 50-55k range. But is the CRD really worth it? How reliable is it?

Diesel engines in general are reliable engines....in miles, it's not un common to get 300k our out them. And the fuel economy can't be beat.:)

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Well the CRD Sport seems well equiped and from the pics looks like it's in good condition. It has select-trac which is the 4x4 system I want. If it's still around in the coming weeks I'll go check it out.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many MPG would I get with a CRD Liberty? Oh and how many KMs on one tank?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day from the left coast of Canada.

FWIW, you might check out lease return vehicles. and repo centers.
We got a very good price and I bought the exact KJ I wanted.
Aside from regular maintenance items and a water pump, we've put over 50k on our '04 Sport since 12-02-06 and it still drives excellent and gets around the same fuel economy as other 3.7 liter versions.
Mind you, If they had a CRD, I would of bought that!

Good luck in your search for your "right" KJ.

Cheers
Ry'

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Took me some time to find the right KJ, but am I glad I waited for mine!!!!:D

I agree with Ryan, check out Repo's and auctions. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.