New 2005 Liberty Limited Sport Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjw3cma

Reaction score
We just got our "new to us" 2005 Liberty Limited Sport and love her. Now to find out how to install our Gentex 177 Temp / Compass mirror (we already have the temp sensor installed).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the mad mad world of KJ love ! ;)
So do you own a Limited or a Sport model ??

cjw3cma

Reaction score
Welcome to the mad mad world of KJ love ! ;)
So do you own a Limited or a Sport model ??

2005 Liberty Limited Sport / 3.7L / 4x4
Remote Entry / no over the top accessories (no EVIC / but the temp sensor is in place).

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
2005 Liberty Limited Sport / 3.7L / 4x4
No it can not be a Limited Sport, no such animal
Limited has painted fender flares same as body color and a few different things
Sport models have dark gray fender flares
Can't be both

cjw3cma

Reaction score
No it can not be a Limited Sport, no such animal
Limited has painted fender flares same as body color and a few different things
Sport models have dark gray fender flares
Can't be both

Ran a VIN report and it came back as: (trim) Rocky Mountain Edition 4WD / Sport 4WD (Hot Darn)

Had to look that trim up to see what it was.

Attachments

• reno.jpg
    reno.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So Rocky Mountain Edition only........................................and .hot DARN not ......

cjw3cma

Reaction score
Rocky Mountain Edition - they didn't make many I hear. Anything special about it? Anything not special about it?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rocky Mountain Edition - they didn't make many I hear. Anything special about it? Anything not special about it?
Just more of an appearance package
Nothing different as far as suspension, drivetrain etc
No not many, Jeep will tell you how many of that year/model even color they built
One of mine ( the 03 ) is a color of green they only used one year and only about 700 or so were painted with that color ( Timberland Green Pearlcoat )

cjw3cma

Reaction score
Just more of an appearance package
Nothing different as far as suspension, drivetrain etc
No not many, Jeep will tell you how many of that year/model even color they built
One of mine ( the 03 ) is a color of green they only used one year and only about 700 or so were painted with that color ( Timberland Green Pearlcoat )

Thanks. Story goes it was first owned by a U.S. Marine officer who had it for 13 years (he spent most of his time overseas) and cared for it like he did his rifle (if you get my point). Its last 2 years before us was as a daily to and from college commuter for a 19 yr. old student (7+ miles each school day and not much more). Just turned 130,000 miles. Put new 235/70/16 all season tires on "her" (named RENO) this week and tomorrow she gets her transmission serviced by our mechanic (and her grille guard installed). Nothing doesn't work as expected. A real nice Jeep. The paint on the roof is in need of a clear coat removal (downloaded a few How To videos and have put together the materials except for the clear coat X2 and the paint, if required). The hood just needs a good deep cleaning (including sanding) to bring it back to the condition of the rest of the car which is great. One very small ding near the side of the driver's side hood (odd place for one - probably a good story). Otherwise as stock as can be (the way I like it). I own a 2001 F-150 King Ranch (the first year offered) that to this day is 100% stock with the exception of the REQUIRED heavy duty brush/grille guard.

Want to learn the intricacies of the Liberty RME and how to do a few things - installing a Gentex Temp/Compass mirror (need to find out where the temp sensor wires are terminated to tap into them or if there is a harness for a temp/compass mirror hidden somewhere as I heard that they used one wiring harness for any supplied with remote entry / pwr options, couldn't find "it" on the wiring diagram. And when we got the tires, had her aligned and asked about the overall condition - loose but nothing major (130K worth of use). Our mechanic went over her top to bottom and gave her 2 thumbs up.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome, I have the year previous, 04 Rocky Mtn Edition.
It never seems to amaze my how many things they change year to year with the KJ's regarding appearance.
My Canadian export came with front skid plate, gas tank skid, & front hooks & even a block heater etc.
You must be registered for see images attach

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The ambient air temp sensor is behind the grille. I'll try to post a photo of it, searching for it right now.

cjw3cma

Reaction score
The ambient air temp sensor is behind the grille. I'll try to post a photo of it, searching for it right now.
That I located / where the 2 wires come out is what I need to find out. Tried the wiring diagram but it all started to run together!!!!!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Computer controlled into the BCM my guess. Do you have the factory manual for the 05 KJ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
NEXT THING, GET OUT YOUR TAPE MEASURE
On level surface, measure from the center ( hub ) of the left front wheel to bottom of the flare
By 60-70,000 miles suspension ( shocks and springs ) is toast
I've done lifts on KJs with 75,000 miles that were almost 1.5 inches lower than new stock height

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine were off road tested & toast by 35k miles. Looked like a low rider! :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I felt my suspension bottoming out at 150 miles, by 10,000 I had it and started ordering parts
and before 20,000 miles had all new OME suspension ( drove a lot for work at that time before the state supplied me with a car)
When I started looking for my second KJ, to be used as backup, I had already ordered a JBA adjustable coilover kit , it was delivered before I even found one :)

Latest posts

Members online