Need your opionions on this. tow hook mount idea.

Would it work well?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May not be strong enough

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Do guys think I could mount tow hooks between the two upper bolts in this pic? The metal is pretty thick almost 1/4" thick.

You must be registered for see images

Bennett

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
lol, if you guys think its a bad idea then I need to know.

But I just measured the metal plate and its 1/4" for sure.

Bennett

2kjhouse

Reaction score
hook placement

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't that put your tow hook behind your round tube? I think this would be a problem if you were unable to get or see under the vehicle, but that would only apply if your front end was buried in mud or water i guess. JMO

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
The tow cable would go above the round tube, so the round tube bar kinda helps it from getting buried in a way. But the round tube isn't directly in the way of where I want to put the hook, so there is clearance for the tow cable and the ability to connect it.

Bennett

quivvy

Reaction score
if that is bolted on to the frame it may be ok. i just know factory hooks have 3 bolts and you have 2. although wrangler hooks have 3. maybe if you bolted it and welded it? just a thought?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Re: hook placement

2kjhouse said:
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't that put your tow hook behind your round tube? I think this would be a problem if you were unable to get or see under the vehicle, but that would only apply if your front end was buried in mud or water i guess. JMO

Ok, as recalled, you mounted your hooks on your brushguard, do you have any trouble with them strength wise? I would bet the mounts are pretty similar on the brushguard, mine has a plate that goes above in the frame and it basically sandwitches the frame between two plates of steal.

THANKS!
Bennett

2kjhouse

Reaction score
should be good

Yeah I think mounting through the 1/4 inch steel should be ok, I mounted mine through the 2 1/4 plates and have had no strength issues. I have already had to use them to pull myself out of the mud when I hung it up on the tree. I try to pull across my brush bar rather than from one side though, just to have the whole bar acting as one piece not pulling on side from the rest of it. I also have the same rating on my hooks 10k per hook, the KJ is only around 4k so you should always be fine. =D>

PS i don't think welding them on is necessary or a good idea imo, what if you needed to get the brushbar off or to cange out your hooks later on for something better (like a winch setup) I am still trying to fab up a winch bar to fit in there somewhere on mine. :-k