need some leather cleaning hints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dotcentral

Reaction score
My leather seats from ebay came in today. From Maine. With the weather the NorthEast is having I can't believe they got here that quick (From Maine to North Carolina, shipped on Wednesday via FedEx.

They are pretty filthy. What are some good cleaning products to use? Soap & water? That "Armor-All" type vinyl & leather cleaner? The Meguiar's and other pricier type leather cleaners?

Once clean, I will probably need to treat them with something. What are some good products?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dotcentral said:
Meguiar's

That is what I am using. I wouldn't use soap as I think it would dry out the leather. Anyway, I started with clean leather seats, but nonetheless, just go over them with the cleaner and one cloth. Change the cloth as it gets dirty. Then, go back over with another clean cloth and hand buff them to where they somewhat shine. Due to the cold cold weather, I haven't cleaned my leather since before Thanksgiving. But I'm actually thinking about it since it's been dryer then normal due to winter. I actually clean the seats once every other month, or monthly for the front seats.

LOVE THE LEATHERS SEATS! Enjoy them and congratulations! The feel great to sit in.

dotcentral

Reaction score
Do I need Meguiar's cleaner, or similar, or will regular STP/armor-all type cleaner work for the cleaner, and once clean, treat it with something like Meguiar's. It's a little late to hit the store tonight for these sorts of items.

Man, I hope I like these seats. The stock sport seats are too stiff and completely uncomfortable. Even if I can't get the power or heat working I'm thinking it will be worth the money.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will love them. They feel great to sit in... real nice. Believe me, I won't go back to fabric.

I think you'll be fine with Maguiar's. I use their "one step" that cleans and conditions. It just says to use one rag to clean, and one to buff.

Enjoy my friend.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Lexol, they have a "cleaner" and a "conditioner" it's a 2 step process, clean first, condition next. I've noticed that blue jeans leave a blue colour on the leather, so every couple months I use the cleaner/conditioner and it looks like new again. I've also heard great things from Meguirs products, but I bought the Lexol cuz it'll be less expensive in the long run, and I'm happy with it.

There was a thread going around (on another Jeep board) about getting Neatsfoot Oil for doing the leather. I went to a tack shop (horse riding supplies) and the guy looked at me wide-eyed and asked me who told me that cuz it must be a joke. He explained that neatsfoot oil would make the already soft upholstery leather so soft that the sewing might pull right through it at the seams when you sit on it. Neatsfoot oil is for hardened leathers (like saddles) not for soft leathers that are used in upholstery. He also said the soft leather would absorb so much of it that it would bleed out of the leather for a long time afterwords (months??) and get on your clothes. Now these EXACT problems were the topic of the person's argument about "you must use Neatsfoot Oil" and he assured us that this would never happen. I'm going to have to believe the guy who's been in the business for 20+ years rather than a one time post I read on the internet.

So with that said go to your local tack shop and talk to them, bets are they'll recommend something like Lexol.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use meguiars. it does a great job, its been about 2 months since i did it last and they still shine when i look at them. The libby seats arent the best in the world, they crack really easy, so its best to do this often i believe.

dotcentral

Reaction score
Thanks, seats are reasonably clean now

I found an old bottle of leather cleaner and ran that over both seats Monday night. Drivers side cleaned up nice, the passenger side had some sort of film or staining. Don't know why the pass side would be worse, maybe the seats came from a car where dog rode up front.

Anyway, yesterday I got some Megiuar's and some saddle soap. I used the saddle soap, used one of those scotchbrite plastic scouring pads on the stubborn spots. Cleaned up pretty decent. Probably use the Meguiar's next time.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the leather seats. Just wish they where holding up a little better. I'll take it in eventually and see what they say.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo said:
I really like the leather seats. Just wish they where holding up a little better. I'll take it in eventually and see what they say.

Are they cracking on you?

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Eddo said:

Are they cracking on you?

Unfortunaly yes and I have taken very good care of them. Even the back has a few small cracks starting and hardly anyone sits there at all. They still look perfectly smooth except for a few cracks. The drivers seats looks like how I would expect it to look at 100k not 20k.

I'm sure I could get them replace and I probably will but another 20k down the road same thing.

These guys seems to make some great leather seat cover replacements, but the fact is I should have better leather from the factory.

http://www.katzkin.com/SITE/HTML/index.html
vendor for katzkin
http://www.autoleathers.com/HTML2/AL.MAIN.FS.html

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read some say on JU that cracking is normal for wear, but how much is normal? I wonder if my seat warmers will cause them to age faster? Boy do I love the seat warmers. I could sleep in them... sleeping.gif

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
I have read some say on JU that cracking is normal for wear, but how much is normal? I wonder if my seat warmers will cause them to age faster? Boy do I love the seat warmers. I could sleep in them... sleeping.gif

Maybe it is normal for these seats, but I have seen leather seats in other cars with 40-60k and the look almost new. Definitely low grade leather used on my seats. Damn DC trying to save a few bucks. [-X

The seat warmers are nice though, gotta love them.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this on JU but for those really tuff stains try MR. CLEAN MAGIC ERASER. Wet it and rub lightly until the stain is gone. I was amazed at the crap it removed. Stains that none of the other stuff got out. It also works great on the interior plastic on the doors.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHUD said:
I posted this on JU but for those really tuff stains try MR. CLEAN MAGIC ERASER. Wet it and rub lightly until the stain is gone. I was amazed at the crap it removed. Stains that none of the other stuff got out. It also works great on the interior plastic on the doors.

I just bought a package last night because I remembered what you wrote on JU. What timing!

Latest posts