Need some info on the Playstation 3

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ChiefRudy, Apr 8, 2008.

1. ChiefRudy

ChiefRudy Full Access Member

I'm looking to get a BluRay Player in June. It's a $500 Sony Model with BluRay Live (BluRay Profile 2.0) capability. I know the Playstation 3 is already BluRay Live Ready and the 80gig model cost just as much as player I want. I'm just trying to figure out if I should by the PS3 and kill 2 birds with one stone by replacing my DVD player and my PS2 with a Playstation 3. Or by a bluray player and then also a PS3.

So just how good is the BluRay player in the PS3? I've been reading reviews and so far there all good but I want to get a little more insight from people I can communicate with. I also ask about this because I have a PS2 and DVD player part in that didn't last too long for me. After a while some DVD would stall half way through the movie or it wouldn't play a movie that had more than 24 Chapters. Like after Chapter 24, it would just stop playing the movie.

Also, I still play PS2 games. Mostly becuase I can get them dirt cheap now but does the PS3 have a port on it for PS1/PS2 memory Cards? Or can I buy some type of USB adapter for the memory Cards?

Thanks in Advance for any input!

2. hyde

hyde Moderator KJ Supporting Member

Get the PS3. I played BD movies on my PS3 and it is just incredible how some of these movies look..
    PS3 does not have PS1/2 Memory Card slot, but it has virtual memory card inside. Also you can buy an adapter and transfer your saves into PS3.

3. ChiefRudy

I figured there was a an adapter I could buy. You know the Price by any chance?

Now I'm really itchy to go buy the PS3, I just paid off my LCD from circuit City So I can use my Credit card for there again to get 0% interest on it for 3 months Hehe :D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  4. ChiefRudy

I just read that Sony discontinued the 80gig version of the PS3 until June and also that No more PS3 will have backward compatibility with PS1 and PS2. This news sucks :( The backwards compatibility and bluray 2.0 player where the selling points for me because there are not any PS3 games I really want yet.

5. -=JoN=-

-=JoN=- Member

there is a memory card adapter you can buy, and transfer your saved games over to the ps3 hdd. tell you the truth, i still play ps2 games on the ps2 ( i bought the 60 gb) it just displays it better on an hdtv. (the ps3 zooms it, and cant get it to look right). I barely play the ps2 (and some games i've been meaning to play for the longest)......now since it just doesnt look that great on my hdtv...(it's hooked up via composite...looks nice, but...the games was not meant to be played in high def)

even if it's not backwards compatible (do you still have your ps2?) the ps3 just does a lot more than play ps3 games and blue ray movies.
    it's practically a multimedia PC. if your adventurous, install linux on it...:D

here's the link to the adapter

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-Memory-Card-Adaptor/dp/B000K1GZIU

6. 06Liberty

06Liberty Full Access Member

We've had our PS3 and 42" HDTV for a couple months now, and I have no basis for comparison, but the blue-ray discs look absolutely amazing....especially compared to a regular DVD that's a few years old. New regular DVD's look OK, but you can definitely tell a difference in the Blue-Ray. For the money, I'd get the PS3...even if you don't play that many games right now, you have the option to if you choose to start one day.

7. ms5490renegade

ms5490renegade Banned

get a 360. ps3 is too expensive and if the 360 breaks they send a new one

8. LibertyOrDeath

LibertyOrDeath Full Access Member

I think you meant to say "when" the 360 breaks not "if". I did a quick google search for "Sony PS3 breaking" and it returned 989,000 hits with the top 10 being about Sony financially breaking even with the PS3's. I did the same search with "Xbox 360 breaking" which returned 5,540,000 hits with the top 10 being "Why did my Xbox 360 break" or similar (possible Google bias is considered). Hmmmmmmmm.

Either way the Xbox 360 only has the now-defunct HD-DVD as an option. So if you want an High Def movie experience go with PS3 over the Blu-Ray player.

9. -=JoN=-

-=JoN=- Member

if you read the OP, he's looking for mainly a BD player...all the others are just extra's (playing games etc)

and if you break it down, the ps3 comes out cheaper than a 360....

10. ChiefRudy

Thank for the advice guys. I'm pretty much set now on getting the PS3. I always planned on getting one. I just wanted to know how good the Bluray player of the PS3 worked out. I'd rather spend 500 and get one item that does two things than spending 1000 for each one.

11. VTNomad

VTNomad Full Access Member

Ps3

The PS3 is hands down the best Blu-ray player on the market. It reads at 2x (compared to 1x Blu-ray players). This is an advantage in scense involving a lot of action. It is the first Blu-Ray 2.0 compliant player. However, it wasn't BR2 compliant out of the box, you will have to download an update. It's easy to do, and the PS3 connect wired or wirelessly to your home network. You have to have Blu-ray 2.0 movies, not many out at the moment, two were released last week when the official patch came out. The 6th Day, starring the governator was one.

The controllers and dvd remote are Bluetooth, not infrared as most devices are. So, if you're planning on using a universal remote, you're out of luck. I have head of people using aftermarket USB adapters made for the PS2, so that a universal infrared remote can be used.

You really need to have a 1080p TV to take full advantage of Blu-Ray. I would recommend going with a plasma, you can get new a 42" Panasonic model for around $1000. If you go with LCD, make sure it's 120Hz frame refresh rate (60hz is the norm). You also need to pay attention to the pixel response time, the lower the better. I've noticed the new Samsungs are 4ms, and the newer Toshibas are 8ms.

Your local Best Buy or Circuit City should have a display set up. If not, give them a swift kick to the scrotum.