Need second set of keys.

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by Neil, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Neil

Neil New Member

I only have one key and remote fob.
    I have ordered a second set from an ebay seller. Question is..I think I can program the second fob to the car, but I believe I cant do so with the key?
    Do I need 2 keys, before it is a DIY job?
    Can the second key be 'cloned' by a locksmith or is a visit to the dealer required?

2. kb0nly

kb0nly Full Access Member

What year is this, is this with the Sentry key then i assume?? If you have a KJ with the Sentry key then you need two working keys to program a third, if you only have one working key then you need to take it to a dealer and have them program the second, thats the only way it can be done.

The Fob is much easier to do, in my case i don't have the Sentry system so i just bought a couple Jeep blanks and had them cut by a local hardware store. After getting another Fob i just followed the directions on here to program it.

3. Neil

Neil New Member

Sorry, yes it is a November 2003, 3.7 Ltd.
    I think that is on the borderline of having the sentry key. Is it easy to tell a sentry key by looking at one, or do they look the same as a none sentry one ?

4. tjkj2002

tjkj2002 Full Access Member

Is your key gray and fat? Or black and thin?

Gray and fat keys are the sentry keys,if you only have one master key it's a trip to the dealership to have a 2nd reprogrammed.You can reprogram a new sentry key by yourself if you have 2 keys already programmed(called master keys),if not it's dealer time and no way around it.

If you have the thinner black keys,just get one cut anywhere that cuts keys and go about your marry way,no programming needed.

Oh and every year of the KJ had the option for the OEM security.

5. Rob

Rob New Member

[​IMG]

This is the standard (non sentry) key that the majority of 03's have. If yours looks like this you can go and get it cut anywhere.

And the fob, that's really easy if you already have a programmed one. Your liberty is a limited right? Some of them have the overhead console, if you have it you can program the new fob from there.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  6. Neil

Neil New Member

My key is thin like the one in the picture, but grey in colour. I take it then that the thin ones do not have a transponder built in?

7. kb0nly

X2 on the EVIC... Thats how i programmed my third Fob i just got, why three, well i just believe in spares and got this like new one off ebay for $5 so why not!

But if you don't have the EVIC to do the programming its still easy, go to the how-to section on here and there is a nice writeup on it. Just make sure you read through the steps a couple times so your ready to go when you do it.

8. kb0nly

Oh if you have non-transponder keys there is a seller on eBay selling nice OEM style keys with the embossed Jeep logo on them, that's where i got mine, i think it was like $5 for two of them, the local hardware store charges $3 a key with cutting so i only ended up spending a buck more after paying them a couple bucks for cutting.

9. Rob

Rob New Member

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think any of the thin 03 ones have the transponder

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  10. Cromeo

Cromeo New Member

How do you program your new key, if you have the 2 masters.?. 06 lib sport

11. Cromeo

Cromeo New Member

Figured out... :pp: