Need input before I order a new water pump.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wesla

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Renegade Edition with close to 200k miles. I think it has the heavier duty transmission and going strong, can probably still do some towing. 4x4 works good. 3.7 with an exhaust sounds mean. Its pretty rusty. But its been trusty. And I love it. Probably wouldn't pass smog or safety in most states but its fair game where I live.

I/others thought it was done for and I was going to unload it for $1000 to someone looking for a hunting/bush rig. Funny enough I actually bought it for $1000 to begin with.

But I looked in to it more and it might just need a water pump.

-----

I was driving it as usual doing my morning commute, getting a coffee. I noticed the battery light on and thought it was weird - maybe my alternator was on the fritz. I figured better get to work where I could have a good look. I was 5 minutes from work when I noticed some white steam trailing behind me and immediately lost heat. It was a chilly morning, so I had the heater on, and it went from the usual heat I've had all winter, to complete cold. When I came to a red light I noticed the steam was coming from under the hood.

Two minutes later I pull in to work. I start revving the thing to see what happens, the steam came from the front half of the vehicle mainly, and none came directly out of the tail pipe. I get out and hear/see the coolant just pouring down the front half of the engine bay. I pop the hood, the water pump is grinding/rattling like crazy. The serpentine belt looked like it was ready to slip off of it. Tons of play so I quickly shut it off. The temp needle did not move over half at any time throughout this. I didn't have my OBD2 bluetooth adapter hooked up at the time. Its remained at work where I can fix it soon as I get a water pump in. I probably got to work just in time so I thank the Jeep for holding on until I did. Pretty sure at least half the coolant is gone, maybe more.

Can a water pump dump that much coolant to the point its cascading down? The hoses were all in tact with no bulges or bursts.

I checked the oil. Its still the same dark gold-ish as the previous day I checked it. The oil cap/filler neck had a smidgen of condensation but it usually does.

I did a search on this forum to find what I could find. I know to go for a metal impeller water pump and a good gasket. Not sure I see the Jeep going much longer than 3 years but I'll still use the decent quality stuff for it.

Am I missing anything? TIA everyone.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Water pump is grinding/rattling like crazy EEK! Yes New water pump immediately required.
Our Jeep's need HOAT or Zerex G-05 coolant only. Don't use anything else.
Check the tensioner pulley's. Once the belt is on it should be tight.
If you need a new Belt use a Gates= EPDM /long lasting & quality.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of a water pump going from working to 100% failed like that. Normally they get some play in the bearing then start weeping. Maybe its been weeping for awhile?

I suppose its possible for the water pump to fail that bad. Napa was the recommended pump to buy, not sure if it still is. I replaced mine many years ago with a napa pump and it seems to be doing good. Its a good time to replace the hoses and the thermostat(mopar only).

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
It can happen. Seal fails and pump starts weeping. After awhile coolant washes the grease out of the water pump bearings and eventually they fail.

Wesla

Reaction score
Thanks all!

I yanked anything cooling related out that I could replace, and drained all the coolant.

Got the old water pump out. Crap plastic impeller shredded itself. It had a ton of play, no wonder coolant gushed out. No bearing whatsoever.

Also changing thermostat, hoses. I got a water pump with a metal impeller. Looks of great quality and was only 40 bucks or so on Rockauto. I may have to hit Napa for a new serpentine belt as I didn't order a new one from Rockauto. Maybe I can get away with the old one.

I just need to dig up the thread I thought I bookmarked on the water pump gasket procedure. I want to make sure no leakage.

What does anyone think of replacing the "fan clutch" on these Jeeps? My fan looks fine, spins freely?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks all!

I yanked anything cooling related out that I could replace, and drained all the coolant.

Got the old water pump out. Crap plastic impeller shredded itself. It had a ton of play, no wonder coolant gushed out. No bearing whatsoever.

Also changing thermostat, hoses. I got a water pump with a metal impeller. Looks of great quality and was only 40 bucks or so on Rockauto. I may have to hit Napa for a new serpentine belt as I didn't order a new one from Rockauto. Maybe I can get away with the old one.

I just need to dig up the thread I thought I bookmarked on the water pump gasket procedure. I want to make sure no leakage.

What does anyone think of replacing the "fan clutch" on these Jeeps? My fan looks fine, spins freely?

Hope you used a MOPAR thermostat, if not will be replacing it soon
aftermarkets just do not work

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The factory clutch is pretty free on these Jeeps since the mech fan isnt the main source of cooling. Its part of the heavy duty cooling package. So its hard to tell if its bad by just spinning it. If its stock, it certainly cant hurt to replace it since its got some time on it now.