Need help. sunroof drain front passenger side grommet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

It looks like my sunroof drain on the front passenger side has detached from the grommet.

I can barely see the end of the drain hose and water drains out from it but it doesn't look like it has an elbow at the end of it like I would expect, comparing it to the figure in the part fische. I can't quite reach it with my hands as it's behind the padding behind the dash.

I think I can get to it with some long nose angled pliers which I don't have. I am hoping to not need to remove the dash to get this fixed.

Here's where I need help

1. Can someone please verify for me where the drain hose grommet is located?

2. Is there suppose to be an elbow fitting at the end of the drain hose?

3. where does the water drain out from? the side by the door hinge?

If someone can do me a solid that'll be great. No tools required at all to help me.
Just need to remove the side kick panel(?) right below the glove box, on the right. It just pulls right out.

One you've pulled out the trim, you'll see this.
You must be registered for see images

Right above this white harness protective molding, you'll see an orange cable that connects to the black cable you see in the picture. I think this is the radio antenna cable.
On my jeep, right above this orange cable, I see another grommet.

Is this the grommet that the drain hose needs to connect to?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was able to find the end of the sunroof drain except I was not able to find a hole where this grommet would go in the vicinity of it except for the rubber plug I mentioned (I thought it was a grommet) above the antenna wire (orange).

You can also see the end of the sunroof drain with the grommet around it next to the aforementioned plug plug.

Now, the sunroof drain is plastic and not super flexible so the only logical thing I can think of is that it was installed incorrectly from the factory, if this rubber plug above that antenna wire is where it should go.

Again, if anyone can kindly help me verify if this is where the sunroof drain should go on their Liberty, that'll be much appreciated.

All you need to do is remove the side kick panel on the front passenger side and look above the white harness protective molding.
No tools required.

Thank you!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll take a look tomorrow morning, if that's ok!

So which panel do I take off? Is it the one that's on the side of the dash?

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So which panel do I take off? Is it the one that's on the side of the dash?

The kick panel under the dash, not the side panel.
Passenger side.

I've circled what needs to be removed. The left one is the kick panel which covers that white protective harness box I mentioned. The part on the right that is circled goes over the kick panel a bit so you would need to pop out the end that is closest to the dash.

Also, sorry, I completely forgot that you might need to remove a panel under the dash, under the glove compartment, that covers the blower motor. Just need a philips head screw driver. there will be two rear facing screws.

Thanks! I really appreciate the help!

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find that you can stick your head under the dash to look upwards at that spot, use a flash light and the movie recorder on your cellphone.

That helped me a lot.

Thanks again!!!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here's what I found, unless I was looking at the wrong place. It looks different than yours like they changed it between 03 and 05.
You must be registered for see images attach

That black cable with the white letters on it is the CB cable I ran through that area.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks pretty similar. Not too far off.

Did you put your CB wire through that hole where I mentioned the plug was?
if so where does it come out on the other side?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in your picture, the cable with that metal connector that is the antenna cable (mine is orange in color), please trace it upward and that cable will end right under a plug or possible the sunroof drain grommet. You'll need to stick your head under the dash and look upwards. Either that or it might help to use your cellphone to record a video.

You'll see exactly what I posted about that plug or where the sunroof drain could possibly be.

Thanks again.

The black material on the left of the picture is essentially the firewall on the other side. You can see the seem on the corner edge just to the left of the orange cable.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't get a pic but I didn't see anything running into that grommet.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where it needs to drain to?

I'm going to look at the driver side to see whether I find anything similar to the passenger side.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
IDK if this helps, as I don't have a sunroof, but the FSM has some detailed info.
Found these diagrams with front grommet and a rear drain pic as well.
56470[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Hope this may help. :favorites13:

Attachments

• 19538.jpg
    19538.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 2

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The end of the drain has detached from where ever it needs to be so it is draining inside instead of outside. I am very confused as the part fische and fsm both seem to point that where the plug is currently should be where that drain should go.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think that big round grommet that is in your original post (and #7 in the diagram you posted) is not the one that the drain runs though. That pic TC posted makes it look like the drain runs higher and closer to the firewall. Mine doesn't leak at all.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope not because if it is higher than what i could see that means i have to take the while dash out.

so going off the diagram i posted, all three has this trapezoidal shape with 2 holea. The top left figure references the antenna cable (orange cable on mine) ehich goes to the bottom of the 2 holes. The right figure shows the drain going to the top hole but the bottom left hole shows all the plugs and grommets in that area.

so confused......

:(