Need help getting codes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my KJ back from the body shop (after hitting a deer), and the check engine light is on. I got the list of codes from the "How To", but it doesn't seem to be displaying a code? The first version of trying to get the code does not work on my '04 as it's suggested, but method two does it's thing to do the gauge and lamp test, but then it shows the software version, 4.4, and then shows the odometer reading. No codes?

Anyone have an idea how to get the code?

Thanks!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed! I posted a question on gag, JU... and a moderator answered my question to try and unplug the battery and wait a minute. I guess that I just wasn't getting any codes because nothing was wrong. =D>

Although I just got laid off today from my job, I am tickled to death to have my KJ back! But can I keep my wife from driving it tho', lol?

You must be registered for see images

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Fixed! I posted a question on gag, JU... and a moderator answered my question to try and unplug the battery and wait a minute. I guess that I just wasn't getting any codes because nothing was wrong. =D>

Although I just got laid off today from my job, I am tickled to death to have my KJ back! But can I keep my wife from driving it tho', lol?

Uh, grogie... unplugging the battery just erases the codes. They'll be back... just a matter of time. Sorry to hear about the job. :( I'm going into freelance computer repair myself...

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
Uh, grogie... unplugging the battery just erases the codes. They'll be back... just a matter of time. Sorry to hear about the job. :( I'm going into freelance computer repair myself...

Not necessarily. I've had other Mopar products that the CEL came on, several minutes of the battery unhooked and viola. The CEL never came back.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, it is not necessarily going to come back on...I have used this method before to fix the random code....

2003KJ

Reaction score
guess there must be some ghosts living in our KJ computers..LOL.

Sorry to hear about your job Aaron. Look at it this way, at least you're not dealing with all those idiots over there anymore. It's a chance for you to start over again, nice and fresh. Things happen for a reason, and you'll get something soon.

Whatcha wanna do now?

BTW, KJ looks good as new!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Yes what a day! But, I do have an interview lined up tomorrow afternoon. It's a pay cut, but it's a smaller company and looks like a good situation. As long as I can sell myself, I should have it.

But tomorrow morning I am going to spend some time cleaning up the inside of the KJ. It's a bit dusty and smells like an body shop. I ended up having a good conversation with the owner, who had been gone last week when his assistant did the job. It turns out that the "bump" on the bumper was actually there from the factory. They had to sand it off and repaint. The assistant had painted the bumper, and thought that it wouldn't be noticed since it was near a seam. But it wasn't under it, so I did notice it. But dang it looks good, and I am so happy to have it back home! It's such a fun vehicle to own and drive. KJ's rock!