Need help from the experts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok hopefully someone can help me figure this out. When in 2HI driving down the road at any speed, I hear a constant metallic rattling. When I put it in 4HI and drive forward or reverse, it clunks and sounds like something is flopping around freely. The transfer case shifts fine, no grinding or weird noises. At first I thought it was a CV, so I checked them out. All but one are fine. The drivers side inner CV attached to the diff has a very small amount of play, all the rest are solid. But I can turn the front driveshaft by hand and hear the noise I'm hearing while driving. I took a video of it, hopefully you can hear it over the wind. I was trying to beat the storm, but it decided to hit when I was under the truck.

Front Driveshaft - YouTube

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking you might need to replace the CV at the transfer case....maybe.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check that front driveshaf CV at the T case you can take it off and drive it to see if it goes away but DO NOT but it 4wheel drives.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that have replaced the cv. is it supossed to have any play ie about a half of that range. or should i order one to put on the shelf?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the CV for the propeller shaft ie front drive shaft ?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call guys. I pulled the front drive shaft today, and the transfer case side CV is shot. I got this link from another thread. Can someone verify this is the correct CV for an 04 or are they all the same? CV Joints & Shafts - JEEP FRONT DRIVESHAFT CV JOINT - Driveshaft Parts

That's the correct part.

FWIW, I removed the transfer case shift cable bracket (one 15mm bolt) to make it easier to slide the driveshaft out. Gives you that extra couple of inches of room you need. Also, don't get rid of the original bolts that hold the CV to the flange on each end; the Allen head bolts that come with the kit are harder to tighten than the OEM bolts.

You may need to really work getting the old CV off the driveshaft if there is lots of corrosion. I used a gear puller to get mine off cuz there was so much rust in the splines.

Let us know how the replacement goes!

Bob

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I just ordered the whole drive shaft from them. Figured for that cheap, might as well just get all new to put back in. I did save the original bolts, cleaned the threads up and re-tapped the holes in the diff and transfer case. Just waiting for the new shaft to get here.