Need advice on Replacing Airbags after a crash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've got a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L 4X4 that was recently crashed in the front, and both airbags deployed. I have just finished repairing the crash damage and bought a used set of airbags that also came with an airbag control module, that I'm not sure I need.

1) In searching the web for airbag replacement instructions, I've seen some people post that the airbag control module (ACM) should be replaced with the bags, while others say it's not necessary and should not be replaced, since the ACM is serialized and needs to match the rest of the car or the airbag light will not go off. Regardless, I don't want to set off the new bags, so does anybody know what the correct answer is on whether the ACM should be replaced along with the airbags?

2) I also found in my searching that Chrysler recalled a lot of 02-03 Liberty's for electrical problems that could result in unexpected airbag deployment. Does anybody know if Chrysler ever acknowledged this or offered to fix it? I'm the original owner, and I don't ever recall getting an airbag recall notice. I've had lots of ball joint recall notices, a knee bolster repair notice, and even a gas tank recall where they offered to install a Mopar trailer hitch to avoid explosions from rear end collisions, but I've never seen one for the airbags. The airbag recalls may only affect certain VIN# vehicles, so if I do end up replacing my ACM with the one that came with my replacement airbags, could it be subject to a recall?

Thanks for any help I can get on this.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ACM has to be programmed with the correct VIN,the ACM is good for 2 deployments but the airbag light will stay on after the 1st till it's replaced.You need to check the SRS wiring,any burnt wires need to be replaced also(mostly clock spring area) and you may need to replace 1 or both impact sensors.

That recall is for wiring and if you KJ was "totaled" your not part of any recall anymore,just guessing since your repairing yourself.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The recall involved fitting a filter to get rid of electrical noise that was suspected of falsely triggering the airbags. I received the letter last October for my 2002.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I checked my VIN with my local Jeep dealer, and they said my car does not require the airbag recall fix. They said it only applied to certain production runs, so that explains why I never received any notice.

The dealer also told me that they could not reset my ACM for liability reasons (since I did all the repair work myself, so I'll have to use one of the on-line places to do that, such as the ones I've seen mentioned on this site. Does anybody have any experience with the turn around times they experienced when doing this? It looks like they want me to send my ACM to them for resetting, then they return.

If my ACM allows for 2 deployments, can I safely reconnect the battery, after installing the replacement airbags, seatbelt, front sensors, and clock spring, while keeping my original ACM, without the new bags deploying accidentally? My fear is that once the ACM triggers a deployment, that it is defaulted to the "fire now" mode and will immediately trigger the new bags to blow once I reconnect. Anybody have any experience with this? If it's just a matter of the airbag light staying on, until it's reset, I can live with that for a while.

Thanks,

Reaction score
So I installed the airbags over the weekend, but have not hooked the battery back up yet. Going to call the dealer on Monday to see if they can tell me whether or not it's ok.

Reaction score
Got conflicting answers from multiple dealers on whether to 1) keep existing ACM and take it in to dealer for reset, or 2)replace ACM. In all cases, they agreed, that either the existing ACM or new ACM would not trigger the airbags, so I decided to swap the existing ACM for the used one I got with my used airbags. I'm happy to say the airbags did not deploy when I hooked up the battery. When I started the car, the airbag light came on for about 5-6 seconds, and then went out, so I shut the car off and repeated the startup procedure a few more times, and the airbag light functioned exactly the same way.

Reaction score
I've driven the jeep about 2000 miles since the airbag replacement, and everything seems to be functioning normally (ie. airbag light comes on for 5-6 seconds after startup and then goes out, just like it did before the crash), so this seems to indicate there should be no problems swapping airbag control modules from one vehicle to another. in my case the donor ACM was from another 2002 Liberty, just like mine. It had the exact same part number, with only a different serial number, so that saved me at least $50 and a 1 month turn around, if I had decided to have my original ACM reset.

benibiker63

Reaction score
Where is the ACM located? Reason I ask is mine was replaced for the airbag recall and now my OD button on the shift selector doesn't work. I'm thinking they left something disconnected or broke a wire in the process... I looked under the center console and don't see anything...

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is the ACM located? Reason I ask is mine was replaced for the airbag recall and now my OD button on the shift selector doesn't work. I'm thinking they left something disconnected or broke a wire in the process... I looked under the center console and don't see anything...

You have to remove the center console to get to it but it is pretty far forward. IIRC it is mounted to the ****** tunnel in front of the center instrument panel support. May be towards the passenger side (US). This is based on my 02. I seem to remember the connectors being yellow?

benibiker63

Reaction score
You have to remove the center console to get to it but it is pretty far forward. IIRC it is mounted to the ****** tunnel in front of the center instrument panel support. May be towards the passenger side (US). This is based on my 02. I seem to remember the connectors being yellow?

Thanks. Last time I removed the center console I didn't really look forward of the shift selector. I'll have to try again. I think it's a coincidence that it worked before and suddenly it didn't after they were in there for the recall.

Latest posts

Members online