My (mostly) Mall-Crawling Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miltonwaddums

Reaction score
Hi All!

Thought I would start documenting some stuff here as I go.

I found a 2004 KJ on the local CL for $3600: 3.7, 4WD (NV231), 5 SPEED!!!, 71k miles.

Going for a mild lift, a few audio upgrades, general cleanup, and then on to some funner stuff like an on-board air compressor, permanent (huge) AC power inverter.

Here are some before pics (pics from actual CL listing):

Attachments

• 00D0D_5OqvVn7gB87_600x450.jpg
    00D0D_5OqvVn7gB87_600x450.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 00f0f_3zRodJNvcld_600x450.jpg
    00f0f_3zRodJNvcld_600x450.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 00i0i_8FWHzbGXYKu_600x450.jpg
    00i0i_8FWHzbGXYKu_600x450.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 00o0o_enFcaBP4Zmp_600x450.jpg
    00o0o_enFcaBP4Zmp_600x450.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 00404_3bINIey43kj_600x450.jpg
    00404_3bINIey43kj_600x450.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 31

miltonwaddums

Reaction score
My goals for this jeep is to have a fuel efficient (relatively) commuter that can confidently handle NE ohio snow and go occasionally light off-roading.

I was able to score a set of 4 265/70/17 General Grabber HTS tires off of eBay for $380 shipped for my Durango, but sold it before I ever put them on. So I had them sitting in my garage. Had to make them fit since they filled my requirements perfectly. (Although I LOVE the look of more aggressive treads.)

I grabbed a set of 5 Rubicon 17" wheels off a local on CL for $200. They were like new, off of a 2013 JK. These are 5x5 bolt pattern FYI.

To Al Gore's internet I go; and I got a Daystar 2.5 lift, 5 5x4.5 to 5x5 eBay wheel adapters (1.25" thick), and a 5th General Grabber HTS 265/70/17 tire.

(The 265/70/17 is within measurement error of a 265/75/16.)

Everything went together somewhat smoothly. Getting that front lift in is a PITA though, a lot of persuasion via profanity (and cranking the LCA cam bolts) made everything fit though. Also, Autozone's McPherson strut compressors didn't fit in the gap of the spring. I had to disassemble the compressor, put the block at the center of the spring, and pry/hammer it in and then spin it to the bottom (rinse and repeat for the top). That was a first.

They rubbed EVERYWHERE. I did some light trimming on the front which helped and did the PWM which helped some more. (I love using the BFH on my new-to-me car.) Some more front bumper trimming upcoming.

I'll get some pics uploaded soon, hopefully this afternoon.

EDIT: I bought some Sensen struts off of Rockauto for $50/pair to do this install. I was nervous about it but so far they ride nice and really control the increased pre-load of the lift kit. I'll be buying some matching ones for the rear on my next RA order. I'm pretty happy with them so far.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

miltonwaddums

Reaction score
I didn't have 100 miles on it when I did this one.

I had a pioneer DEH-X9600BHS headunit in my old WJ, so right in it went. Even had the right harness adapters on it. I really like it, it's the only HU on the market that fits my needs (read: wants).

1) It has infintely variable display colors (I hate blue, red, green, orange, etc. - I just want it to match the other interior colors.) I also wanted a good LCD display, something that can actually do text (as opposed to scrolling "8s" that sorta look like letters).
2) HD radio. It's awesome with the extra channels it gets. Plus the radio tuner is pretty strong.
3) Bluetooth. I hate holding my phone up to my head. I swear it would kill me or someone else eventually. And I'm a good driver.
4) Rear USB. This powers my garmin GPS directly with no wires, etc on the dash - another pet peeve of mine.

I suction-cup mounted my Garmin 52LM (I think?) GPS in the corner. I had to modify the USB cable to power only (no data), otherwise the Headunit constantly think it's hooked up to a USB mass storage device and the GPS thinks it's connected to a computer. Slice and dice 2 wires and tape it back up and it's good to go.

I dash mounted my Ultra-Gauge (scan guage knock off, but better) right under my GPS. This thing is crucial to getting good MPGs. I need to go through a setup a better screen layout for it. Another day.

Coming this summer: 4 speaker install, custom dual 6.5" subwoofer under rear seat and 5 channel amp.

I've been considering a tablet to replace all of this, but keeping basic things like FM (and not-so-basic things like bluetooth) become a hassle. I still may go this route, but a custom ROM for a tablet has to be made for cars first.

Pics below.

Last edited:

miltonwaddums

Reaction score
That's perfect to move it - sorry i didn't see it.

Also, the daystar and other spring lifts have EXACTLY the same geometry. I don't wheel hard, so I'm not going to push any limits.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3600 for a 71k 2004 jeep liberty? wow. I can't even get that price in AZ.
Anything wrong w/ the liberty besides the rust?

miltonwaddums

Reaction score
Just needed some catch up maintenance and the CD player didn't eject. A few other very minor issues. Pretty solid overall though. I'll be doing brakes this summer. The bumper was sun faded to an almost white. A little Pam cooking spray and red scothbrite took care of that.

miltonwaddums

Reaction score
This was beyond all of those products. The oxidation was built up too heavy and needed to be mechanically removed. I tried meguiars black magic. Didn't even touch it. I'll be happy to give wipenew a shot though.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My roof racks were oxidizing pretty bad from the sun exposure. worked really well.
Walmart or target will have the kit for $15.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.