My 2006 Jeep Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i've had my liberty since august and have done some minor modifications, so i figured i might as well start a build thread.
Lets go back the beginning! It started with my 2000 Cherokee Classic i built up myself, 3.5" RE lift with 32" BFGoodrich surco rack, hella 500s and hella 550s front mounted Hi-lift tow hooks 7" touchscreen DVD player all custom audio Bored throttle body, programmer and real CAI etc etc:
You must be registered for see images attach

Loved it but was looking for something newer and better for daily commuting to school..
So i got offered this Liberty for a straight trade!
At first i didn't really like it, it was abused dirty and needed work.
Its 2006 Liberty with 3.7 Automatic 62k 4X4, power everything, ABS, trailer hitch, spray painted rims mismatched tires extremely dirty and "custom tow hooks and sh!tty foglights drilled into the bumper and really loud cherry bomb glasspack:

First thing was to clean and clean and clean some more!
The random foglights that were wired horribly came off and the towhooks came out since there is no way they could of been used without ripping them out of the subframe. Also it got serviced the biggest part being new wheel bearings and speed sensors grand total of the service $544
Then it needs some wheels and tires. Found these on craigslist for $160 with some goodyear tires with about half tread left:

Then tint the marker lights, with some extra niteshades i had:

I added a 5" Pyle touchscreen DVD player with bluetooth got it new for $120 shipped, also added a 12" Infinity sub and kicker 300zx1 amp:

Then it needed a roof rack, well first some crossrails so i made these:

Then the windows got tinted 50% front (limit for Ohio) and 20% rear:

Then a set of Hella 500s just to the bumper since its already ruined with the holes:

Then a Rola roof rack that i got new for $60 shipped :)
also i added a set of cheapy 55w lights to the back:

I found these on craigslist for $90 including all the mounting hardware :D

Mounted it, and the taillight covers and moved the hellas onto it:
Also added a set of Pilot foglights to the roof rack and wired them in:

Last edited:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also most recently i put on a set of 245/70r16 Firestone winterforce tires:
Also a set of Husky slush guard floor liners from a fellow member:
Added interior LEDs including under the dash and front seats wired into the factory interior lights:

And lastly i added a set of front tow points, with 2" receivers mounted to the subframe with some 5/8" d-rings rated at 7000 Lbs each :)

I know the bumper is hacked as can be, but its got a huge crack in the lower right corner so i didn't mind cutting the holes :D

Last edited:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newest pictures after d-ring, bumper cutting and new tires:

I just replaced an 02 sensor, but got the check engine light back on so i think i got another one to replace..
I also got the riv-nuts to put in the transfer case skid plate, once it gets a bit warmer that will be done.
Also i want to add an evic so ill add that to the list to be done!

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got any info on how you made the cross rails? Looks great!

Sure do, for those who are looking into roof cross bars, here is what i did for mine:
I ordered 4 1 3/8" Clamp On Tees from from growerssupply.com
part number 109597 and are $5.59 a piece plus $8 to ship so it totaled around $31.
https://www.growerssupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10001&mfPartNumber=105957&langId=-1&division=GrowersSupply
They look like this:

They even gave me a free pair of gloves!

They are a little big for the factory rails, but i put a tiny bit of foam pipe insulation to make it snug and prevent metal on metal contact.

Then home depot 10'6" fence top post 1 3/8" for 8.49
(I got the 10'6" pipe to fit inside the KJ with the rear glass closed!!)

Then cut them down to size depending on where you are mounting them my front was about 41" and the back about 39.5"
Now comes the bending its up to you if you want to do this, i heated it up and just barely bent it to be safe.

I then test fitted and primed and painted them with some extra black paint i have, here in the final outcome!

There is about 1/2" of clearance at the closest spot

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice KJ.

That XJ you had was nice too.

Dave

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much to update other then replaced the rear brake pads and rotors.
Also because of PO quikrete disaster in the trunk i made a custom carpet cover. Took about 45 mins and $10 and actually looks real good!

Also i added my "Toyota Recovery Vehicle" sticker that i actually got in the fall but wanted to wait til it was warm to install, i wil snap a pic of it soon.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much to update as I have no money to spend on the KJ other then maintenance for now, but walking out of work today it looks nice with the sun shining so i figured a perfect picture moment!

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
very interesting how you did the brushguard and the clevis'. id pretty muchfigured that if i did a brush guard liek that i wouldnt be able to have front recovery. but you addressed that pretty well.

hmm. adding this to my list of possibilities

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the manufacture of that brushguard, i have on 06 rene, flathood, and that looks like it would work with the flat hood lines, every other one i found looks like it was made for the round hoods!

edit durr nevermind just saw it in your tag thx

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
what is the manufacture of that brushguard, i have on 06 rene, flathood, and that looks like it would work with the flat hood lines, every other one i found looks like it was made for the round hoods!

edit durr nevermind just saw it in your tag thx

dont worry, i almost did the same thing lol.

though, i couldnt find them anywhere.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha thanks, and it's a Manik. Its suppose to be for an 02-04 but i got it on craigslist for cheap and figured i would try it out.
And after adding the brush guard I knew I needed tow hooks up front and made a set of d-ring reciever hitches fit up there. Right now I only have 2 1/2" grade 8 bolts holding them but another one will be going in on each side before i actually take it anywhere serious, just to be safe :)

Next project I think will be building up my own style LTT intake!
Then possibly paint the rims and see what I can do with the exhaust.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Built my intake today.
I used pieces that I had leftover from my cheapy XJ intake, and ended up just needing to buy one elbow and everything else I had lying around.
I built the heat sheild myself and ran 2" PVC fitting from the foglight hole to the inside of the heatsheild so its its a true CAI :D

Not the prettiest intake ever but for $8 it should work. I will eventually pull it out and fix the quicky paint job and make it a little nicer looking.
Also I got this off craigslist for $15 from a guy who happened to live 5 minutes away. He said he bought it new 10 or so years ago and its just been scratched from moving around a bunch and he never used it, just had a little oil inside to keep it from rusting, so the inside is very clean!

Not sure what my plans are gonna be for mounting it, but I love the look of the true old jerry cans!

Next is going to be the front driveshaft rear CV joint replacement.