My 2005 V6 Jeep Renegade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the 'Post your Jeep Pics' thread, but I thought id make another one and keep it updated.

Modifications:
ARB Front Air Lockers
ARB Bull bar
ARB Spotlights
UHF CB Radio
Grande Mk3 12000lb Winch (Did have a Warn 9.5XP on it but it died from rust and corrosion)
Bilstein suspension
BFG Rugged Terrain tyres 245/70/R16
Rock sliders
ENGEL Camp fridge
WAECO fridge adapter in rear
155,000 kms
Did have PolyAir rear air bags, but one burst when I came off a dirt road and ended up in a ditch. No one was hurt and no other damage to the car.

Modifications still to do:
Snorkel
Roof basket for storage.
Side shade awning

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 34
  • FB_20150820_11_20_10_Saved_Picture.jpg
    FB_20150820_11_20_10_Saved_Picture.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive owned this for 12 months now. I live in a remote part of northern Australia, known as Cape York. Plenty of serious 4WD'ing to be had up here. So far it has served me well, but I have had some issues.

Repairs ive had done:
Replaced suspension to Bilstein B6 46mm Monotube. Replaced upper control arms, ball joints and lower control arm bushings.
Radiator replaced with new thermostat and hoses.

Repairs to do:
  • I need to replace the Belt Tensioner. The car is running very poorly right now. It struggles going through 1st and 2nd gears. It feels and sounds like the serpentine belt is slipping. I have a new belt tensioner and went to install it last night BUT do you think I could remove the ONE bolt holding in the tensioner?? No sir. I even broke a socket trying to loosen that bastard! I really don't want to have to take it to the shop to remove 1 bolt. I live in a small town and theres one mechanic here and he charges like a wounded bull. Ill keep at it...
  • The hand brake barely works. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Maybe I need new shoes for it.
  • Ill need new tyres soon. Something more aimed at off road. I like the BFG's so I might go them again.
  • Replace sway bar links. The bushings have gone in the current ones. Should be simple enough to swap out and I have the new parts.
  • I need to get a snorkel installed. Theyre becoming harder to find here in Oz.

Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your steering wheel is on the wrong side :D it's supposed to look like this
You must be registered for see images attach

Lol jealous of your renny flares /: I want some badly. I think they'd look great on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the newer center console will fit all libertys hmm

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your steering wheel is on the wrong side :D it's supposed to look like this

ha yea I thought something was different after its last service!
I notice your centre console is different than mine. The window switches are in the centre on mine, but appear to be on the doors in yours.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha yea I thought something was different after its last service!

I notice your centre console is different than mine. The window switches are in the centre on mine, but appear to be on the doors in yours.

Probably just the angle. They're still in the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spray the hell out of that bolt with penetrating oil (the good stuff, not the cheapie stuff).

Whack the bolt after spraying it, then hit it with a little heat; that usually helps the oil penetrate better. Try tightening the bolt to break it free, then loosening.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to do ebrake hardware and possible pads as well, also on my to do list

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to end up using a cutting wheel to get the belt tensioner off due to stripping the bolt head. The bolts that come with the new ones are much better.

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to end up using a cutting wheel to get the belt tensioner off due to stripping the bolt head. The bolts that come with the new ones are much better.

uh oh! I hope it doesn't come to that. The replacement tensioner I got didn't come with a new bolt... :icon_confused:

My Jeep is running like a hairy goat right now. Sounds awful. Really need to fix this soon!!

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand tensoner did you get? My Gates came with a new bolt.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bro your wipers wipe the wrong way thats a problem... Keep up the nice build like you jeep alot.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My replacement was a gates as well and came with a new bolt. I hope that yours doesn't come to that either, but I was replacing my head gaskets and had to get the tensioner off to do the work. I also had the replacement already so for me it was an easy decision to make.

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the belt tensioner yesterday. My friend had much better tools than me which made the job easier. The replacement tensioner is a Dayco and didn't come with a new bolt. The Jeep is running a lot better but its still rough at idle and when going through 1st gear. It shudders a bit. Once at speed though, it drives well.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like your build - helps to live in Oz where ARB parts are manufactured, eh mate? But maybe you don't get a price break cuz they're local. Anyway, love what you've done :waytogo:

How do the rocker switches work next to the gear selector? I hadn't thought of that location as I need to install two in mine: One switch for the winch (it's a safety lockout preventing the winch from running unless the switch is thrown); and the second switch for rear lights on my roof basket.

I like your location but don't want to accidentally hit them - your feedback will help me make my decision.

Thanks!

Bob

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey twobob. The location for the switches hasn't been an issue for me. Ive not once hit the switch accidentally.

Members online

No members online now.