MTR Old Style Opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got to put my MTRs through a REAL trail test. Was out in a spot in NJ and ran everything from rocks,mud, water. I found that on the trail they were good, ran them at 18psi. They took well to the rocks, gripped like they should have. Then we tried a river crossing at the end of the trip about 6pm. The TJ with the winch tried to cross the muddy river about 6-7ft in length, SANK right in. Winched himself out from a tree on other side, and then the stock KJ that was with us went, same out come. Now we all thought, with my tires I would make it, (TJ had Radial Long Trails) But nope, same outcome, didnt even make it a little farther than the others. Once across, we had a tricky little hillclimb that started out with some nice size rocks. Needless to say after having 2 trucks make some small ruts in the path,I couldnt even get up on the rocks like the TJ did. Granted it was muddy but I still feel like I should have made it as far as the TJ they are MUD TIRES, I had atleast 2" of lift on him. (No pics unfortunately) But what are your guys opinions on the MTRS?(Aeh)

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have them and love them. They do great in mud, sand, and rocks. I just wish I had a locker in front cause I have one tire in the air a lot on some of the tails.

EDIT:
I had a hard time in soft soil going up some steep hills but I dropped my tires down to 23psi and I just walked over everything without wheelspin, even the wet and grassy hillside.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old style MT/R's rocked,some of the best tires on the market,excluding Rubicon take-offs as those were different then regular production MT/R's.

I had 3 sets and l,oved them.

You would have done much better if ytou dropped to about 10-12psi,they like the low psi's but don't go much below 10psi without beadlocks.

kskj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love mine they have never let me down. Awesome in the Mud great on the rocks and good on the highway. But I only use them on my off road trips so they have lasted me three years now and still have a lot of life in them.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Finally got to put my MTRs through a REAL trail test. Was out in a spot in NJ and ran everything from rocks,mud, water. I found that on the trail they were good, ran them at 18psi. They took well to the rocks, gripped like they should have. Then we tried a river crossing at the end of the trip about 6pm. The TJ with the winch tried to cross the muddy river about 6-7ft in length, SANK right in. Winched himself out from a tree on other side, and then the stock KJ that was with us went, same out come. Now we all thought, with my tires I would make it, (TJ had Radial Long Trails) But nope, same outcome, didnt even make it a little farther than the others. Once across, we had a tricky little hillclimb that started out with some nice size rocks. Needless to say after having 2 trucks make some small ruts in the path,I couldnt even get up on the rocks like the TJ did. Granted it was muddy but I still feel like I should have made it as far as the TJ they are MUD TIRES, I had atleast 2" of lift on him. (No pics unfortunately) But what are your guys opinions on the MTRS?(Aeh)

Get locking differentials, then you would of made it across the water!

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also you can run about 8psi on MTRs if you are using a 12.5" wide tire on a 8" rim. A local club member referred to it as the "poor-mans beadlock" The bead should stay seated pretty well on the rim at such low PSI

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the old style MTR's on the KJ and they were not bad but you had to run them at low PSI off road ,18 is not low PSI 12 is where they like to be on a KJ
I now have the new style MTR-K's on my TJ and they are very good off road even when not aired way down then when you air down they get even better

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow okay so i really need to lower the pressure. 12psi it is. I wont slip the bead on a stock limited rim?

You can't rule out driver experience here. MT/R tires are really good (I have them too), but when you loose forward momentum and then floor the skinny pedal they will dig themselves right into the ground.

No I know that, it was just a bad situation to have to go behind two trucks with street radials who dug up the ground in front of you, I had to spin them a little to get some momentum to move.

Thanks for the help guys

Last edited:

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
X2 on Rubi take-offs bringing the suck. Some of the worst tires I have ever owned.

But as Marlonius pointed out, they are not actually a mud terrain. In fact, my observation of them in several sizes in real mud is that they are marginal at best in that media.

Ever read the tire reviews in magazines, especially amature efforts like JP? They test a "mud tire" in 3" of mud in a 20' long path and think they are doing something:rolleyes:

timmyb457

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've had my old style mtr's for over a year now and they are amazing in every situation i've had except for me. But i already knew they wouldn't be the best in mud because they are not mud tires as already stated

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i know their not MUD TIRES, but i just call em that cause im too lazy to write out, Maximum Traction Reinforced

Latest posts

Members online