Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by RenegadeKC, Oct 26, 2010.

1. RenegadeKC

RenegadeKC Full Access Member

Who here rides motorcycles, dirtbikes, or ATV's?!

I've got 50,000+ miles of seat time riding streetbikes, and countless hours riding dirtbikes.

Currently bikeless, but will be getting a new Supermoto or Dual Sport when I graduate Tech School at the beginning of next summer.

Here was my most recent motorcycle, which I used as a trade in for the Liberty I have now:

2006 Honda CBR600RR

[​IMG]

2. speedracerbubba

speedracerbubba Full Access Member

Sexy. I've been without a bike for a lytle over a year and miss it (splitting lanes isn't illegal here in ca so traffic was great). Used to have an 04 gsxr 600 with the normal goodies.

3. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Started riding Harleys back in 1972, 69 chopper that handled great at 60 but around town was a bear!
    Had several over the years, most miles were on a 85 Harley Sport Glide ( FXRT) put 99,000 miles on it before I sold it for more than I paid for it.
    Used to do Bike Week in daytona, Sturgis etc.
    This was before all the darn Yuppies screwed everything up!!!
    Have built 3 show bikes, a few for others, last one was a 98 883 Sportster with a Buell Lightning X1 engine for a while then a XB12R it was just a B2B bike but fun at the lights, could smoke em through 3 gears easy.
    Owned one over the pond bike
    77 Kaw 900 with a big bore kit, my first wife learned to ride on that bike.
    Most people any more if they ride 100 miles they have been on a long ride!:happy175:

4. RenegadeKC

Yea...there is some obscure law here in Missouri that Lane Splitting isn't illegal, but cops all say that it is...blah blah blah. The tickets will get thrown out in court if you show them the law where it states that it is legal.

That bike was bone stock performace wise, but cosmetically, it was quite different. Powdercoated everything that was silver to low gloss black. Black exhaust wrap. Painted Dark Grey Effect from the Lexus IS series. She had 23,500 miles when I traded it in, and feel kinda of bad for the person who bought it. It needed a good $1500 in maintenance done at 24,000 miles...LOL.

5. RenegadeKC

I have done countless 8+ hr rides, stopping only for gas, with my wife on the back. Sportbikes aren't that comfortable, but we weren't scared of taking it anywhere. Hell, my CBR had seen dirtbike trails/gravel roads/grassy pastures, LOL.

6. tommudd

My Harleys have always been the same out through fields where ever I needed to go.

7. twack

twack Full Access Member

my little toy
    [​IMG]

8. DirtyKK

DirtyKK JPOTM WINNER

08 Honda 600RR
    lots of mods, like the jeep. i spend too much money on toys. :happy175:

[​IMG]

9. tommudd

Wow lots of "coffin fillers" it seems!

10. azmotoman

azmotoman Full Access Member

Hmmm...think my avatar says anything?

11. DirtyKK

DirtyKK JPOTM WINNER

i suppose youre talking about sport bikes? :pp:

12. tommudd

:shrug:could be :icon_twisted:
    Just have seen enough young kids get them and think they can do anything / anywhere and get away with it.
    Experience goes a long ways in riding as you know if you've riden 50,000 plus miles. :icon_twisted:

13. DirtyKK

DirtyKK JPOTM WINNER

i agree with where youre coming from though. it is all in the head of the rider and most of them that dont use their heads are sport bike riders. honestly though, around here, i see more cruiser style bike riders ride without safety gear and ride more after a few beers then sport bike riders. ive only got ~8000 street miles but i wear alot of gear and dont ride like a retard in traffic.

14. RenegadeKC

I started out riding streetbikes when I was 19, but I've also been riding dirtbikes since I was 5. I knew my limitations from the beginning. I was one of the rare people in the area that I live that kept their bikes bone stock. I had absolutely no performace upgrades. The little SOB had 105-ish HP at the rear wheel and only weighed 375 pounds. There have been alot of deaths this year in the motorcycle community here in Kansas City, and it saddens me everytime I hear news that there was a fatality.

As far as experience, yes, it does go along way. I've seen guys go to the dealership, buy a brand new Litre Bike (1000cc), and within the first 1000 miles, total them out. Not to mention, it's those guys that ride in shorts and t-shirts, rocking a pair of flippy floppys.

I was an ATGATT rider, and was made fun of countless times in the 100+ degree heat for wearing my black leather jacket, helmet, gloves, jeans, and boots. Then it's those same guys that come back a month later saying they layed their bike down and got road rash all over the place and wish they had gear on.

15. RenegadeKC

are you on www.600rr.net? If so, I'm MidnightSpeed on there.

16. DirtyKK

DirtyKK JPOTM WINNER

was, havent got on there in a while and actually forget my login. thought it was minolta somethin or other but :shrug:

i still search around once in a while to see some new goodies but havent posted in well over a year im sure.

17. Cherrie

Cherrie Full Access Member

I have an 1986 Suzuki Intruder sold my 1984 it200 this summer.Yes I have been hit on my Intruder. But then I got hit on this too,[URL="http://[​IMG]"

Not very good pics.But I was not the at fault driver in either accident,and I even wore a wood cutting helmet on the tractor which did save me from at least road rash on my head.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  18. RenegadeKC

What the heck happened? Did the IH frame break?

19. Cherrie

Cherrie Full Access Member

Yep it broke into and many smaller pieces. In the one pic you can see the F350 that hit me.I was heading west then turning left south,hit me spun me north then the ballast in tires and box scraper wanted to continue west. So around and around we went.Rolled one and a half times.The back half is upside down in pictures,in the last pic you can see the seat. Right where I was upside down, going around,no there was no ROPS or seat belts.
    I just dont like hearing that bikes are coffin fillers, life is fatal,either live or exist. I have been hit on my bike,yes she saw me,thought the traffic light wasnt working she ran a red.The guy who hit a large farm tractor...never saw me untill just before contact.

20. tommudd

Not sure what you don't like about crotch rockets being called coffin fillers, more stupid people buy them and wreck than any others,they are cheap and fast so people have no idea what they are getting themselves in for.
    Plus after being around many old time bikers for over 35 years you tend to talk like them, no wait act like them as well :happy175:
    I've been in various motorcycle rights groups for over 30 years, I helped advocate for people having to take a riding course before they could get their license, taught riding courses for a while, was President of ABATE for a while and have rode many a mile with some of those that people run from and are scared of.

But in the end as I had on my business cards
    Ride Free regardless of the patch or the putt
    Helmet Laws Su** :icon_twisted: