motor blew up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobKlinky

Reaction score
What year 3.7l motor can I put into my 04? Looking for a straight plug and play swap. Don't want to be fooling around with recuctor rings, computers, etc. Just a straightforward pull from one, install into another, start up and drive away.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya 04 please and use the VIN number.
8th digit- Engine K = 3.7L 6 cyl MPI Gasoline and 10th digit should read 4 as in 2004.

For curiosity how many miles did it die at? Engine seized up or?

RobKlinky

Reaction score
Sorry for taking so long getting back to you. Not very many, approx. 130,000 kilometers. So 80,000 miles. It was originally a Canadian vehicle.
I got stuck in a construction zone when I noticed the temp gauge was just under 3/4 of the way up. I turned on a secondary electric fan and turned the heat on hoping it would help but it didn't. It just kept creeping up. There was no place to pull over because they had us pinned down with those concrete barriers. When I finally got to an exit I could hear a rod knock and the dashboard light up like a Christmas tree, it stalled out and I was able to coast to a safe spot.
It started up the next day at home but it sounds horrible, so not seized but definitely needs a rebuild.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That is unfortunate. Sounds like the electric rad cooling fan failed, or did it have the viscous clutch fan as well?