More front driveshaft issues..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, been a good while since I've visited KJ country. Hope everyone has been staying safe and enjoying their Libs!

Anyway, I'm having an issue with my front driveshaft. In 2wd, it's fine. No issues. When I kick it into 4hi, driving straight, I get a clanging/clicking noise. I inspected the front driveshaft and noticed that it has a good amount (inch or so) of front to back play, meaning I can move it toward the front of the Jeep and pull it toward the rear. When I do this, I hear the exact same clanging/clicking noise I hear when in 4hi. Is this front to back play normal? If not, what is likely the issue?

I inspected the CV and the boot is still intact (I replaced the CV head about a year ago), so I'm not sure what my next step is. Could the CV joint be bad even though the boot is still good?

At this point, it seems my options are:
A) replace CV head, hope it fixes the problem
B) replace entire front driveshaft
C) take it to a shop

I don't want to take it to a shop obviously, but don't want to waste time and money replacing the CV or driveshaft and have it not fix the problem.

I am 100% sure the issue is with the front driveshaft, but just am not sure what the problem could be besides the CV joint.

Any and all help is appreciated, as always.

Thanks,
Elmer

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There shouldn't be a ton of play. I'd pull it apart and take a look before replacing. Could be the splines are bad. Did you replace just the back or both?

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the back. It sounds to me like the noise is coming more from the front CV. I can't recall whether the front CV can be easily replaced like the rear, or if that means an entire new driveshaft is needed.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I rebuilt my shaft, I did both ends. I had ordered the parts before removing the driveshaft. Why was I so "stupid" in doing both joints at the same time while everything was conveniently apart? I dunno, probably because both ends had the same amount of miles on them! lol
Yes, either end is equally as easy to do.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know! In that case I'd better replace both ends. I believe the front is the original CV with 144k miles on it.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know! In that case I'd better replace both ends. I believe the front is the original CV with 144k miles on it.

Hopefully that's all your issue is. I'd pop the other one apart and inspect it while you have it on the bench as well. A little extra grease never hurts those either.

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the front cv spline has some movement built in for ease of installation.
But once installed it should be minimal.
Broken c clip perhaps.

Gyro

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a bad cv make clicking noise when driving in 2 wd as well? Mine started doing it so I think I am going to order parts and change both ends here pretty soon.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a bad cv make clicking noise when driving in 2 wd as well? Mine started doing it so I think I am going to order parts and change both ends here pretty soon.

Yes, the CV joint on the transfer case end of the front driveshaft makes all kind of noises when it goes bad. Mine clicked, but others have heard groaning, rumbling and loud pops. It's an easy repair to a known wear item so it's a good idea to replace it.

Bob

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah when it is bad it will make a whole lotta noise. Mine sounded like a meat grinder and it didn't give me a warning. I pay a lot more attention to the boot now