Mod: 120VAC Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

photograjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How to will follow, very slowly.

Got tired of the power issue in the KK.

dual 120vac GROUNDED outlets, 400watts of raw digital inverted power. now i could run my phone charger, computer, coffee pot, popcorn maker, shop vac, air compressor, refrigerator, and small country with it.

You must be registered for see images attach

P.S. Always trust a job that you performed while drinking a Snapple and a Java Monster.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a clean install. I rarely use my little inverter so I just plug it in the cog lighter when I need it.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome install. real clean. it looks like i got the same inverter but i havnt mounted mine. I usually plug mine into the cig plug in the trunk, for some reason it gives of a lot more electricity then the front plugs. I agree with you that it can power a lot of things. When im camping i use it for lights, charger, phone, and computer so its pretty good. cant imagine how small your compressor is that it can power it though. Does having it mounted inside that box help quiet the fan or is it still loud? and how do you reset it if you pull to much power?

Last edited:

photograjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a joke about it powering the bigger stuff. that is the biggest upgrade that I could do for that little money. If you got the same one, you understand how cheap it was.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a joke about it powering the bigger stuff. that is the biggest upgrade that I could do for that little money. If you got the same one, you understand how cheap it was.

ya it was cheap but it really does do a good job at powering things. One of the better camping purchases ive made

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome install. real clean. it looks like i got the same inverter but i havnt mounted mine. I usually plug mine into the cig plug in the trunk, for some reason it gives of a lot more electricity then the front plugs. I agree with you that it can power a lot of things. When im camping i use it for lights, charger, phone, and computer so its pretty good. cant imagine how small your compressor is that it can power it though. Does having it mounted inside that box help quiet the fan or is it still loud? and how do you reset it if you pull to much power?

I could run my 2 gallon tank shop compressor with a 700 watt inverter.

I don't know if you'd consider that compressor 'small' but once that tank is full I can air up the tires very fast with that. In fact, a more powerful inverter is on my wish-list so I can start carrying my shop compressor with me.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to sound like a ********. but where is there a cigarette lighter in the truck

I don't know about the KK body style, but my KJ limited has an 12V outlet (cicarette lighter style) in the front at the base of the radio, as well as one on the passenger's side rear in the cargo area.
If I remeber correctly, the rear one is fused for around 20 Amps, and is "Hot" all the time. This comes in handy for road trips as we have an electric ice-chest that works great back there. Just have to make sure you unplug it for overnight stays as it will take down the battery if left on all night.

SETexasLibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the KK body style, but my KJ limited has an 12V outlet (cicarette lighter style) in the front at the base of the radio, as well as one on the passenger's side rear in the cargo area.
If I remeber correctly, the rear one is fused for around 20 Amps, and is "Hot" all the time. This comes in handy for road trips as we have an electric ice-chest that works great back there. Just have to make sure you unplug it for overnight stays as it will take down the battery if left on all night.

The one in the KK is low left corner of the radio and next to the AC controls.

The rear electrical outlet has a button which one must push in order for the rear electrical outlet to receive power, once the truck is turned off it will then become "dead" and upon turning on the vehicle again, one must reengage the switch to receive power.

TnRebel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the KK body style, but my KJ limited has an 12V outlet (cigarette lighter style) in the front at the base of the radio, as well as one on the passenger's side rear in the cargo area.
If I remember correctly, the rear one is fused for around 20 Amps, and is "Hot" all the time. This comes in handy for road trips as we have an electric ice-chest that works great back there. Just have to make sure you unplug it for overnight stays as it will take down the battery if left on all night.

roger that ... ask me how I know that's a fact. LOL :)

Last edited:

Betty Humpter

Reaction score
That looks great. Good job! I have an idea on how you did it. I will try that also!

two questions,

Is it still switched seperate, or did you wire it to the ignition?

Where did you pull the power from?

Latest posts

Members online