MOAB or Cragar type wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I recently lifted my KJ, I've been looking for a set of wheels for when my tires begin to go bald
But, since my tires were brand new when I bought the Jeep last December, I have a while to decide
Now.. I like the clean look of the MOABs, but I also like the off-road style look of the Cragar or Black Rock Type D wheels
I just can't decide on which one..
Either way, I want black wheels- so if I go MOAB they'll become flat black when installed or if Cragar style they'll already be black
And to add, I really like the backspacing the MOABs give but I know I could get the others with the same amount

I know it's obviously personal preference, but I can't seem to come to a conclusion

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Moabs are 8 inches wide so you should run a wider tire like at the very least 255-70s or 265-70s
The belly button wheels like Soft 8s etc of course can be had in a 16 X7 with 4 inches of backspacing which works great when lifted and you can run more sizes of tires like 245-70, 245-75 etc
And since you want a black wheel like everyone else has may as well go that route

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moabs are 8 inches wide so you should run a wider tire like at the very least 255-70s or 265-70s
The belly button wheels like Soft 8s etc of course can be had in a 16 X7 with 4 inches of backspacing which works great when lifted and you can run more sizes of tires like 245-70, 245-75 etc
And since you want a black wheel like everyone else has may as well go that route

My concern with going with the 265-70 was losing too much power and having to regear

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My concern with going with the 265-70 was losing too much power and having to regear

Its doable with 265-70-16s but you notice it for sure mainly out on the highway
I ran 265-70-16s on the 04 for about 6 months before I went to 265-75s and regeared
Had everything ( front and rear 4.10 diffs ) to do the 03 since I'm running 265-70s but of course they went with the 04 where ever it is , so will have to run stock gearing for a while longer . :favorites68::favorites68:

Not sure if you have ever been say from Columbus over towards Wheeling WV on 70, but those rolling hills over that way on the 04 with 4.10s and 265-75-16s I could set the cruise and it would just roll along only down shifting in 2 places. The 03 with the 265-70s and stock gearing downshifts about 20 places just for a bit, but annoying

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its doable with 265-70-16s but you notice it for sure mainly out on the highway
I ran 265-70-16s on the 04 for about 6 months before I went to 265-75s and regeared
Had everything ( front and rear 4.10 diffs ) to do the 03 since I'm running 265-70s but of course they went with the 04 where ever it is , so will have to run stock gearing for a while longer . :favorites68::favorites68:

Not sure if you have ever been say from Columbus over towards Wheeling WV on 70, but those rolling hills over that way on the 04 with 4.10s and 265-75-16s I could set the cruise and it would just roll along only down shifting in 2 places. The 03 with the 265-70s and stock gearing downshifts about 20 places just for a bit, but annoying

I have been over that way, that's nice that the 4.10s provide that
Just terrible that that happened.. What an insane amount of time and money just taken and who knows what's going on with it- very sorry about that
I was looking at the 265-75 but that's almost a 32" and that would kill the power not being regeared
I think I'm going to keep trying to look on Craigslist for some MOABs, they just look better all around
Kind of hard to find the older style that fits on our KJs
And I'll probably stick with the 265-70s
Now.. What brand tires :think:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't get past the great look of the Moabs - they just speak "Jeep" to me more than other styles/brands. But of course that's my personal preference. I am thinking of putting a graphite color on them like Jbergen did - I really like what he did :waytogo:

Put 4.10's in mine and running 265-70 Duratracs and the power is right at stock - I travel the Western PA hills a LOT and there are only a couple of places on I-79 north of Pittsburgh to Erie where it will kick down to 3rd. My KJ is a bit heavier than mosts with the ARB, winch, sliders and full skids - basically a rolling brick. Still get around 20mpg's on the highway at 74-76mph. I've wondered if going to 265-75 will be too tall, though Tom seems to have figured out the tricks to make it work ;)

Bob

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very happy with it bob thanks for the compliments. Just for ***** i have a few pics i just took after finally getting her cleaned waxed tire shined.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you look at the frane and trailing control arms you can see where the extra paint went.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that graphic color would look good on a set of MOABs also
But, after seeing the flat black MOABs on LOST, it just looks so tempting

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had flat black stockers hard to keep clean and i started seeing everyone with black rims had to do something different the graphite(gunmetal) color i went with looks great. I would love to get some moads but as you said hard to find them in our size.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had flat black stockers hard to keep clean and i started seeing everyone with black rims had to do something different the graphite(gunmetal) color i went with looks great. I would love to get some moads but as you said hard to find them in our size.

Right. And since they're older lots of them have really bad rock rash and scuffs on them
I found a set of 5 but they had pretty bad cosmetic damage and the guy wanted $275 so that wasn't going to happen
Also saw a few where people wanted close to $400-$500 with tires that had about 20% tread left
I guess I'll keep looking, I have plenty of time

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to beat the Moabs for sure

Moabs -vs- Soft 8s

even look good hanging off the back

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Had to throw at least one of the 03 in , sorry

OF COURSE NO TALK OF THE tj mOABS WOULD BE COMPLETE WITHOUT DISCUSSING THE TWO DIFFERENT STYLES, THE 03-05 AND THE 06S WITH THE STEPSIDE
MY FRIEND CHRIS' ON THE RIGHT AND MINE ON THE LEFT

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I know some sit and think for hours what would work the best

Some follow the lead of others

Some will just stand and stretch their necks trying to see what others have while in parking lots

Of course there are times , some are thinking , wheels, what wheels on what KJ??

Many thanks to the animals in Tanzania for their part in this post and also my beautiful sister-in-law
No animals were hurt in presenting this presentation

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man they all look good
Of course with yours being 4"+ lift it makes it look that much better
I just lifted mine a week ago and already feel like it's not high enough :emotions34:
All I can think to myself is "The Jeep-aholic plague has begun.. Great !"

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Man they all look good
Of course with yours being 4"+ lift it makes it look that much better
I just lifted mine a week ago and already feel like it's not high enough :emotions34:
All I can think to myself is "The Jeep-aholic plague has begun.. Great !"

Its enough trust me
4 plus inches just brings more issues/ more wear etc
been there done that , there is a point of o return LOL

One of the reasons the 03 and went to 2.5 and 265-70s
NOW if I were to be living in Arizona or a world similar to that , a mile down the road from MOAB, then yes things would be different and have a different vehicle .

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iv'e also had a few sets of Moabs and Soft 8's but like the 16x7 Soft8's with 4" backspacing the best for fit.
You must be registered for see images

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ ive always loved the look of your soft 8s, mine are being put on right now

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iv'e also had a few sets of Moabs and Soft 8's but like the 16x7 Soft8's with 4" backspacing the best for fit.
You must be registered for see images

They both look good
I'll probably go with the soft 8 style
Just not sure if I want to do a 15x7 or 15x8

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
They both look good
I'll probably go with the soft 8 style
Just not sure if I want to do a 15x7 or 15x8

15's ???
and go with 7 inch wide 4 inches of backspacing