MIL appeared this morning...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick key on/off cycle indicated P0123 on the odometer. Appeared with no warning or symptoms as I was pulling into work after a 100 mile highway commute.

Let's hope it just needs the IAC and TPS removed and cleaned.

Let's also hope it runs well enough to make the 100 miles back home later today!

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can try the cleaning but with mine the TPS was well worn and I just installed a new Mopar.
https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/throttle-positiion-sensor-replaced-tps.59336/

Nice write up, thanks! Might have to just replace the stupid thing. 150k miles is certainly long enough. This Mopar sensor is about twice the price I am used to... but then again, in the past on my Fords I always bought aftermarket, which I'm sure is cheaper.

Knowing how picky the KJ is about it's sensors, I'll certainly go Mopar on this one. No symptoms though on mine... idle is fine... although in the past it sometimes dips down too log and gets rough but then picks itself back up. Has stalled at idle a couple times in the past, usually immediately after starting. Probably the TPS going bad.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course yesterday as I drove home from work, I noticed the MIL was off. Vehicle still driving fine.

This morning, much colder outside, MIL still off, one hiccup where idle dropped but caught itself before stalling. Just once.

Might try cleaning throttle body, IAC and TPS before anything. The fact that teh fault cleared is a good sign.

Kind of moot as KJ won't be my primary vehicle after Saturday anyhow- picked up a very clean, well taken care of 2006 Mercury Montego Premier. Reminds me of my old '94 Grand Marquis. Only with technology.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
MIL(F) I get, but when I see MIL all I can think is Mother In Law. I know they can be troublesome, but never thought they could mess up your Jeep. :eek:

Latest posts

Members online