Might be selling my daughters KJ.......just wondering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what would be a fair price for the Liberty. It is in really nice condition, but the mileage is 183k miles. None of my other cars have more than 100k miles. Is The Jeep 3.7L engine reaching the end of it's lifecycle? It runs really good, but I would hate to sell it to someone and have the engine blow up on them any time soon. Everything works properly on the Liberty EXCEPT for the emergency brake (it wont hold the vehicle in a slope). The other thing that doesn't work on the Liberty is the #1 fan speed setting of the a/c heater control. All other fan speeds work properly. Oh, and the CD player doesn't work. Radio does work, though.

No rips or tears in the interior and the exterior looks really good.

I've looked at Kelly Blue Book prices and Edmunds prices and NADA car guides. They all list different prices. When I compare these prices to prices of other Jeeps currently for sale, the prices are wildly different. For example, all the book prices are different from each other and when I look at private party Jeep Liberty advertisements, the prices are really high compared to the book prices.

Like, let's say the book price is $3,000, but an actual seller might be asking $5,000................If I were to sell this Liberty for the highest book price (which is $2,500), it would be the lowest price of all the Jeeps currently available in my area.

It's difficult for me to put into words. Just trying to get a ballpark $$$ figure as a starting point. Only reason I am selling the Jeep is because the gas mileage is killing me. It's my daughters Jeep, I bought it for her to commute back and forth to school.......her school is 15 miles away, and for 12 of those miles it is a steep uphill grade. So yeah, gas is a big expense.

The only Liberty's available in my area for anything close to $2,500 are undriveable and/or thrashed. Most good ones are $4,500 and up, but book prices say my daughters Jeep is only worth $2,500 which I find it hard to believe because the thrashed/salvaged/non runners are selling for $2,000

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a crap shoot with the engine. I have seen some Liberty's advertised with barely or less than 100k miles having a bad engine, others have gone past 200k without issue. Part of it is how well it has been maintained all it's life, part is just bad luck if a valve seat decides to let loose, as they do out of the blue. Can't give opinions on numbers, as you didn't say what year it is.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say $2500 with that many miles its a hit or miss. Could run another 50k could run 100k but in reality it could run 10k and need a whole new drivetrain. Even at $2500 its a gamble not many people would take. Now at a give away price of $1000 you would have no problem selling it might take a week or two max.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, regional pricing taken into consideration... if thrashed and beat Liberty's that are barely drive-able are fetching $2000.... seems to reason that despite the mileage, yours should get more.

How many miles are on the ones that are selling for $4500 and up? Anything close to yours? I would say, given that it's CA we're talking about here (where the price of everything is inflated), I'd consider between $3000-$3500 reasonable. Over here in MI by me, no way ANY CAR with 183k miles would sell for $4500 (unless its super uber rare or something).

Keep in mind, those book prices are National averages. In some places, a Jeep like yours would sell for less than $2000... other places, more. Like you've already seen.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt notice you were in california start with $5000 might get that:happy175:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start high and work low, That's what I am going to do when I sell my Renegade before winter :( I do not drive it enough to keep paying for insurance and maintenance, I might replace it with a nice fishing boat or something.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Around here in Ohio seems they hold prices pretty good all year long
Just bought a 03 Sport, one owner with 81,000 miles from a local Jeep dealer
Searched a long time for a low mileage 02-04 that was not beat, ripped and torn up.
Paid 4500 out the door all taxes, title, 30 day tags etc
Some cheaper but with 150-175,000 miles like yours
I'd start at 4500 at least though if in good shape

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your parking brake probably only needs an easy adjustment. Not sure about the Liberty drums, but the discs are manually adjusted. Take the 5-10mins next time you're under the Jeep. (Wheels don't need to come off).

Two viewpoints:

1: I treated this vehicle well for many years, but it can't last forever. I have to get rid of it before it starts costing me in big repairs, and something newer/different will save me fuel.

2: I treated this vehicle well for many years, so now I'm reaping the benefits of my diligent upkeep without a car payment. Its paid for, runs tip-top, and owes me nothing. The extra fuel it burns is minor. Changing up to something newer/different could be a costly gamble.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on the ones that are selling for $4500 and up? Anything close to yours? I would say, given that it's CA we're talking about here (where the price of everything is inflated), I'd consider between $3000-$3500 reasonable. Over here in MI by me, no way ANY CAR with 183k miles would sell for $4500 (unless its super uber rare or something).

Keep in mind, those book prices are National averages. In some places, a Jeep like yours would sell for less than $2000... other places, more. Like you've already seen.

Quite a few Liberty's with "salvage" titles for $3,000ish and lower (130k) miles.

Clean titled ones with 150k-200k miles going for $4,000-$7,000

A few that are 'totaled', or with blown motor or transmissions are listed for $1,500-$2,500

I think I am going to list the Jeep for $4,000 and go deal from there. It already passed state emissions inspection and I just got the 2016 tags. So it is good to go. I think I will get a safety inspection done for $200, as an extra piece of mind for any prospective buyer.

Latest posts

Members online