metallic clunking underneith

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after over 20k miles on my lift and after my 800 mile trip toave this me pennsylvania I have this metalic clunking in the driveline about midway. on a hill when I try to coast in neutral, it wont move until i put it in drive and give it gas then it clunks. The 4wd works flawlessly as i used it a bit today because of the snow and ice but with the same noise of course and it doesnt seem to be a wheel bearing. Could my u-joints have finally taken their tole today after the the 20k miles of changed driveline geometry.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either your u joints are binding up or you cv axles are on a crazy angle. You should crawl under and see if the axle is mostly straight or has a radical kink at the boot. And see if the boots is ripped as well

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
How's the condition of the front driveshaft - all boots intact?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds more like transfer case noises maybe
also have you checked the front boot on the front driveshaft
but if its not moving could be brakes as well

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it on jack stands wheels just off the ground in neutral do not start rotate each wheel one at a time see what you get.

Latest posts