Metal particles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Liberty Sport, 5 spd manual, bone stock (mods on the way just not yet.) Had her for about 7 weeks now.

Yesterday I changed the ****** fluid for the 60K mile fluid swap and noticed that the fluid was a bit darker than I expected and there were some tiny metal particles clinging to the bottom drain plug. Not a LOT of them, but enough to basically cover the little magnet that's designed to catch them. Now I believe this is the first ****** fluid change my KJ has ever had. It's been driving 100% fine (shifting smooth) with mostly highway miles and I haven't offroaded it much. Yet!

Should I be concerned about the health of my ******, or are a few particles normal after 60,000 miles of wear? It's my first ****** fluid swap on a manual so I'm a little unsure.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some metal like you are describing is considered "normal". If there are any larger chunks then I would be concerned.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I figured it was from the synchros. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't losing a gear or something. Glad my baby has a clean bill of health!

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some also when I changed mine,looked like a sculpture on the plug,also what did you use for fluid in yours? I went with the amsoil syncromesh-shifts very nice..

Latest posts

Members online