Metal creaking/popping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only happens on the right front after driving at least 40 minutes straight. It will make the noise when I start moving forward from a dead stop, turning the wheel for parallel parking after driving said amount of time and going hard in a left handed turn. The ball joints look good. It won't make any noise at all when I drive the 12 minutes to work in the morning. I tried driving in circles in the parking lot right when I get to work to try and replicate the noise. It is only after I've been driving for a while that I get the noise(s). The only recent work that was done was spidertrax spacers. I double checked the torque and all the lugs are good. Thoughts?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I'll check those out tomorrow after work. Thanks! I'll update once I find the issue and get it fixed.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I changed back to stock sway bar links on the front today. I'll have to wait and see if the noise is still there after extensive driving.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cv and intermediate shaft are brand new napa re-manned units. I'm going to the hobby shop in the morning to poke around some more.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late update. Work is hell right now. After inspecting every last single bolt, nut and suspension part on the front, the culprit was in plain sight. I was focusing too much in a small area to see the obvious. The passenger side upper ball joint was toast. The boot was shredded with hardly any grease left in it. It has been replaced and all is well.:party52:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Latest update....Okay after getting settled and moved in to a different place, I have everything fixed on the front end now. After replacing the passenger upper ball joint, both front lower ball joints, steering rack bushings and front sway bar end links, the Liberty is rock solid. The last one was done after the previous parts were finished and I still had noise. It was easy to troubleshoot the last one. I just disconnected the bar at the end links and drove around the neighborhood. I can finally enjoy driving again.:icon_lol:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Latest update....Okay after getting settled and moved in to a different place, I have everything fixed on the front end now. After replacing the passenger upper ball joint, both front lower ball joints, steering rack bushings and front sway bar end links, the Liberty is rock solid. The last one was done after the previous parts were finished and I still had noise. It was easy to troubleshoot the last one. I just disconnected the bar at the end links and drove around the neighborhood. I can finally enjoy driving again.:icon_lol:

Might as well get everything done in one shot. Glad to hear she is driving good for you!