Mechanical fan clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon, I am starting to feel like I own a Mercedes, lol. I had my Jeep 100% everything functional with the emergency brake being the last fix. After my trip to Arkansas for some nice easy trails, nothing wild but a couple of low water crossings, my mechanical fan decided to lock up. I bought a Murray replacement from O'Riley's and was going to install it today. The fan clutch tool they rented me isn't the right one. So my question is what size is the nut, I tried 36mm and that is too large. Second what direction does it turn to remove it? Looking at the replacement it looks to not be reverse threaded. Third has anyone managed a better holding tool for the water pump pulley? Thanks in advance for the replies, if anyone gets back soon enough I may take another stab at this tonight.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Which engine do you have? If it's the diesel I'll go look and measure.

You can figure out which direction the threads are by considering the direction the pulley is driven and the orientation of the fan blades. They will always act together to tighten.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I got it done. Ended up buying the 30 dollar tool to hold the water pump pulley and used a big crescent wrench. It is lefty loosy and righty tightie. It says reverse threaded on the box. I guess that meant reverse of most fan clutches. Anyway, now I wait to see what breaks next. Lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.