Max lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Liberty Sport. Just purchased yesterday and so far love it. 134,000 miles, interior looks BRAND NEW. Still has the original floor mats in it and even THEY look new. Few imperfections on the exterior but I am ok with it if you are. Anyway, I understand alot of people don't like Rocky Road Outfitters. I have no experience with them, as I have never even done a lift on anything, but they make reference on their site to not going over a 3 inch lift due to binding of the CV joint. Specifically, it says, "As with all Liberty suspension lifts, the Rocky Road Rockfather kits do not go over 3" in height to keep the front axle CV joints from binding. What you are getting is a full suspension that drives and handles like a dream. We have engineered the system to be able to mount on a vehicle with stock bumper, or to properly handle a winch bumper for those who have tried staying with stock springs only to lose some lift." Just how hard is it to go over 3 inches, or are they talking out of their ***** to make everyone want their wares?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Want the truth or have you already drank their KoolAid? ha ha
Just for background, I've got over 193,000 miles on mine, lifted since about 21,000 miles. I'd say at least 145-150,000 miles of that has been in the 4 inch range on the average. Do it right and you can do it, best height though is about 3.5 -3.75 inches . With the right setup and JeepinbyAl upper control arms people have no real problems. Been a lot done that way and lots of folks will tell you the same
Free country but I'm sure with some reading you'll be able to see what works and what doesn't, also where RRO fits in

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't much like Kool-Aid. Thats why I asked. I don't drink Kool-Aid without making sure they are telling the truth about how its made. Plus, I am new (read: bought yesterday) to the Liberty world. Basically, main thing I am after is this. My stepson has a set of 31x10.50-15 Kelly Safaris that I can get along with the set of 15 inch wheels from his old Cherokee. IF the wheels will fit with the rotors on the liberty, I want to squeeze just enough out of it to fit the 31x10.50s and I will be happy... for now.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't much like Kool-Aid. Thats why I asked. I don't drink Kool-Aid without making sure they are telling the truth about how its made. Plus, I am new (read: bought yesterday) to the Liberty world. Basically, main thing I am after is this. My stepson has a set of 31x10.50-15 Kelly Safaris that I can get along with the set of 15 inch wheels from his old Cherokee. IF the wheels will fit with the rotors on the liberty, I want to squeeze just enough out of it to fit the 31x10.50s and I will be happy... for now.

With the right backspacing the wheels will fit...but barely. :(

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
15 inch stock wheels from a Cherokee will not fit over the disc brakes
only 15s that will clear are the soft 8 style steel wheels
Will need at least 2.5-3 inches or so for the 31s to fit

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the right backspacing the wheels will fit...but barely. :(

The ones that are on it now are 235/70-16, I think, so they are a tiny bit oversized and scrub just a bit at full lock to the right. If I get the soft 8 with 4 inch backset, wonder if they will fit without destroying anything. Is 4 inches enough? Thats the lowest backset I can find the soft 8 style wheels. Most of the offroading I will be doing is going to be beach combing. MAYBE some very mild trials, nothing stupid.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
235-70-16 was an optional size , so those are stock size tires. Mine came with those
reason for rubbing is more than likely yours has sagged enough thats the reason. I've had them come in and have sagged almost 2 inches in 75-80,000 miles and the springs were stacked/shocks completely gone.
If you are lifting say around 3 inches the 16X7 with 4 inches of backspacing works perfect. If you need pictures I have several of different ones we have done here.

decibelchild

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3" lift ideas

235-70-16 was an optional size , so those are stock size tires. Mine came with those
reason for rubbing is more than likely yours has sagged enough thats the reason. I've had them come in and have sagged almost 2 inches in 75-80,000 miles and the springs were stacked/shocks completely gone.
If you are lifting say around 3 inches the 16X7 with 4 inches of backspacing works perfect. If you need pictures I have several of different ones we have done here.

im redoing my springs and getting the shocks and spacers

im sagged at 18 3/4 front and 18 1/4 in the back
i should get my ride height back and have a true 3" lift

i can score some wicked tires for a cheap price through a friend but i want to play it safe and ask my fellow kj'rs

they are 235 75/16 their huge. i have a five speed and its not a daily driver so i can manage to roll them before doing the gearing

ideas friends?

Attachments

• IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 24

decibelchild

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohh by the way i would love to see peoples images of ridiculous tire sizes that work so i have a good idea of how much work this will be and how they did it right

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
They might look huge to you now, but not with 3"of lift ... :D ... those will fit easily.

What year is your KJ? Your not even an inch below stock (if your measuring hub to flare) height.

Last edited:

decibelchild

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They might look huge to you now, but not with 3"of lift ... :D ... those will fit easily.

What year is your KJ? Your not even an inch below stock (if your measuring hub to flare) height.

haha yeah i hear ya, if they fit for a summer great. but next summer im going to spend my time doing a proper lift. all springs and shocks are bone stock by the looks of everything under the belly. perhaps i havent sagged?
i might be closer to 17" from fender flair.

ill post pictures soon. but heres why a lift is a must.. i needed just a couple more inches and i would have been golden

ill post more pics of by buds stuck in side by sides, needless to say, with a lot more speed we all made it to the bigger mud puddles.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 21