Manual Transmission NV1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V-man

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I need a little info please. I have a 2003 jeep Liberty KJ (Cherokee in S.A.) and its a 2.4 petrol engine 4x4. I have a NV1500 manual trasmission, and need the Mopar or Chrysler part nr for the lubricant. I searched the net for 3 days now, and can only find the name (mopar transmission fluid). Apperantly the NV3500 and NV3550 transmission is similar to the NV1500, but the lubricant in the NV1500 is different than the NV3550 and NV3500. Best info i got says that the lubricant for the NV1500 has got 8% friction modifier mixed with the manual syncromesh fluid (part or full synthetic).

Went to the dealer, and they said: "HUH?" They put the NV3500 lubricant in all their manual KJ's. Now i dont want that, just rebuild my ******, and don't want to screw it up with the wrong fluid.

Just need a part nr for the mopar fluid please, or dealer part nr.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
Ok Ok I see evryone looks at this, but no-one knows.

I found out after hours and hours of of google time. The thing is, the NV1500 manual transmission is mainly used in chevy trucks way back in the late 80's, and chrysler also started to use this transmission in their vehicles. The thing with this tranmission is that GM supply the correct lubricant for the NV1500 transmission (GM part nr:12377916). This lubricant is a syncromesh fluid with a friction modifier already mixed. The thing with Chrysler (Mopar) is that they do not have the correct lubricant for this transmission. You need to buy the lubricant for the NV3500 transmission (Chrysler part nr: 4874464) and then also buy the friction modifier (Chrysler part nr: 4318060) and mix it together. Mixing directions is as follow: The NV1500 takes 2.3L of transmission fluid, so you only add 2.2L of transmission fluid (4874464) and add 100ml of the friction modifier (4318060).

Hope this will help any-one with their NV1500 manual transmission.

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Ok I see evryone looks at this, but no-one knows.

I found out after hours and hours of of google time. The thing is, the NV1500 manual transmission is mainly used in chevy trucks way back in the late 80's, and chrysler also started to use this transmission in their vehicles. The thing with this tranmission is that GM supply the correct lubricant for the NV1500 transmission (GM part nr:12377916). This lubricant is a syncromesh fluid with a friction modifier already mixed. The thing with Chrysler (Mopar) is that they do not have the correct lubricant for this transmission. You need to buy the lubricant for the NV3500 transmission (Chrysler part nr: 4874464) and then also buy the friction modifier (Chrysler part nr: 4318060) and mix it together. Mixing directions is as follow: The NV1500 takes 2.3L of transmission fluid, so you only add 2.2L of transmission fluid (4874464) and add 100ml of the friction modifier (4318060).

Hope this will help any-one with their NV1500 manual transmission.

The information that i have is that all the manual transmissions use the Mopar part number 4874464....according to the Parts Fiche.

I see no mention of Friction Modifier for the NV1500.

Why would you need friction modifier in a manual gearbox?...there are no clutches there. In the Tracloc rear diff...such as I have...you need friction modifier for the clutches there.

Either way I do not believe the friction modifier in your gearbox will make any difference in the small amount you have put in.

joeard

Reaction score
The information that i have is that all the manual transmissions use the Mopar part number 4874464....according to the Parts Fiche.

I see no mention of Friction Modifier for the NV1500.

Why would you need friction modifier in a manual gearbox?...there are no clutches there. In the Tracloc rear diff...such as I have...you need friction modifier for the clutches there.

Either way I do not believe the friction modifier in your gearbox will make any difference in the small amount you have put in.

Inside most modern gearboxes, the synchros actually have friction material on multiple surfaces inside the gear assembly. They are like this to give the syncro more "stopping power" or in other words, make the gear set stop better for less grinding in between gear shifts.

Hope this helps!